Twice Upon a Time
25 December 2017
Peter Capaldi (The Doctor)
David Bradley (First Doctor), Pearl Mackie (Bill Potts), Mark Gattis (Captain Archibald Hamish Lethbridge-Stewart), Nikki Amuka-Bird (Helen Clay), Toby Whitehouse (WW1 Soldier), Lilly Travers (Polly), Jarad Garfield (Ben), Jenna Coleman (Clara), Matt Lucas (Nardole), Jodie Whittaker (The Doctor), Nicholas Briggs (The Daleks/Cybermen)
The magical final chapterof the Twelfth Doctor’s (Peter Capaldi) journey sees the Time Lord team up with his former self, the first ever Doctor (David Bradley- Harry Potter, Game of Thrones) and a returning Bill Potts (Pearl Mackie), forone last adventure.
Two Doctors stranded in an Arctic snowscape, refusing to face regeneration. Enchanted glass people, stealing their victims from frozen time. And a World War One captain destined to die on the battlefield, but taken from the trenches to play his part in The Doctor’s story.
An uplifting new tale about the powerof hope in humanity’s darkest hours, Twice Upon A Time marks the end of an era. But as The Doctor must face his past to decide his future, his journey is only just beginning…
Twice Upon A Time is written by Steven Moffat, directed by Rachel Talalay, and executive produced by Brian Minchin.
The 60 minute special guest stars Mark Gatiss as The Captain and Nikki Amuka-Birdas the voice of the glass woman, and will see Peter Capaldi’s Doctor regenerate into the Thirteenth Doctor (Jodie Whittaker).
- Twice Upon a Time was the 2017 Doctor Who Christmas special.
- The Twelfth Doctor’s regeneration has a new visual effect, and even sound effect, to those used previously in the BBC Wales series. This the first regeneration for The Doctor, since the Seventh Doctor’sin 1996, to use an effect which is visually distinct from that seen in The Parting of the Ways, with the Ninth Doctor.
- Toby Whithouse is the second person involved in the BBC Wales series as both an actor and a writer, following Mark Gatiss.
- This is the third consecutive regeneration story to include the word “time” in the title, following The End of Time and The Time of the Doctor.
- This is the second multi-Doctor story to feature a regeneration, and the first in which it is the current incarnation of the Doctor who is shown to regenerate. (The Day of the Doctor)
- When Bill’s glass avatar and the Doctor talk and she restores his memories ofClara Oswald, the music fromThe Husbands of River Song when The Doctor and River were on a date before theSinging Towers of Darillium plays.
- The Twelfth Doctor mentions Bill’s Cyber-conversion and apparent death, (World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls) and Bill explains how Heather saved her. (The Doctor Falls)
- Bill reminds the Twelfth Doctor about Heather and the sentient oil. (The Pilot)
- The Twelfth Doctor tells the Testimony that the Earth is defended and comments on how “that almost never works” when the Testimony retreats briefly. (The Eleventh Hour) The First Doctoris surprised by this, causing the Twelfth Doctor to remember that he is”early days.”
- The Twelfth Doctor is well aware of the consequences that would arise from the prematuredeath of his predecessor and the resulting erasure of his deeds. (Turn Left, The Name of the Doctor)
- The First Doctor remarks on his successor playing the electric guitar. (The Magician’s Apprentice, Hell Bent, The Pilot)
- The Doctor was present for the Christmas truce of 1914 earlier in his first incarnation (The Little Drummer Boy) as well as during his Fifth Doctor (Never Seen Cairo) and ninth incarnations. (The Forgotten)
- The First Doctor is unfamiliar with the sonic screwdriver. (Fury from the Deep)
- The First Doctor explains why he ran away from Gallifrey. (Heaven Sent)
- The Twelfth Doctor meets Rusty again. (Into The Dalek)
- Helen Clay is from New Earth. (New Earth, Gridlock)
- The Doctor holds a Dalek Eyestalk. (The Wedding of River Song, The Time of the Doctor)
- The Doctor is referred to as “The Doctor of War”. (A Good Man Goes To War, The Name of the Doctor, The Day of the Doctor) The Testimony also calls The Doctor by other titles associated with conflict, as did The Daleks, (The Parting of the Ways, Asylum of the Daleks, Engines of War) and theGreat Intelligence. (The Name of the Doctor)
- while The Doctor’s history is being reviewed there’s a cross-over reference to the Star Trek Universe in which we hear the Borg say “You will be assimilated”.
- The Doctor meets his first incarnation. He has met him before and also struggles to remember the encounter. (The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Day of the Doctor)
- The Doctoronce more pilots his predecessor’s TARDIS. (The Day of the Doctor)
- The Doctors banter about their differences. (Time Crash, The Day of the Doctor)
- The First Doctor still calls the TARDIS“the ship”.
- The Twelfth Doctor favourably remarks about the desktop theme of the First Doctor’s TARDIS. The Tenth and Eleventh Doctors did the same regarding the War Doctor’s TARDIS. Likewise, the First Doctor criticises the Twelfth Doctor’s desktop theme just as the Tenth did the Eleventh’s. (The Day of the Doctor)
- The events of The Tenth Planet are referred to.
- The Testimony shows The Doctors the amount of times they have become associated with wars. Notably, events fromThe Waters of Mars, Journey’s End, The Day of the Doctor, The Name of the Doctor.
- The Eleventh Doctor’s conflict at Trenzalore is mentioned by the Testimony, (The Time of the Doctor) as is the Pandorica, (The Pandorica Opens) the Last Great Time War, (Dalek) and the destruction of Skaro. (Remembrance of the Daleks)
- The Twelfth Doctor repeats River Song’s favourite phrase of “spoilers” to his predecessor. After the First Doctoris surprised to learn that Earth is defended, he calls the First Doctor “early days, ” the same phrase used by River to refer to the Tenth Doctor. (Silence in the Library)
- The Twelfth Doctor uses his astral map (The Web Planet) and the TARDIS data-bank (Castrovalva)
- The Twelfth doctor mentions The Daleks’Pathweb. (Asylum of the Daleks, The Time of the Doctor)
- The Twelfth Doctor once more referencesRiver Song’s words fromher diary. (Extremis, The Doctor Falls)
- The Doctors promise to check up on thefamily of Lethbridge-Stewart. (The Web of Fear)
- The Twelfth Doctor regains his memories of Clara. (Hell Bent, For Tonight We Might Die, The Pilot)
- Regeneration energy has previously dealt severe damage toThe Doctor’s TARDIS. (The End of Time)
- The Twelfth Doctor mentions Bill’s Christmas gift of a rug. (The Pilot)
- The final shot of the Twelfth Doctor is a shot of his eyes, echoing his first appearance (The Day of the Doctor) His ring also falls to the ground shortly after regenerating, mirroring when his predecessor’sbow tie fell to the ground as he regenerated. (The Time of the Doctor)
- The Twelfth Doctor says “Doctor, I let you go” before regenerating. Before he blew up the Cybermen on the Mondas Colony Ship, he previously told himself to let go. (The Doctor Falls)
- The First Doctor chides Bill for swearing, echoing how he did similar with his own granddaughter Susan.
- The Twelfth Doctor recalls where the alcohol is stored, having seen River access it. (The Husbands of River Song)
- The Twelfth Doctor tells his successor not to eat pears. The Seventh Doctor and Tenth Doctorsalso expressed a distaste for pears. (Human Nature, Human Nature, Hell Bent)
- The Thirteenth Doctor expresses delight when she sees her new reflection in the TARDIS view screen. The Twelfth Doctor previously expressed approval when Clara suggested he could become female. (Death in Heaven) the Eleventh Doctor also expressed enjoyment at being a woman when he switched bodies with Amy Pond. The Doctor noted that “Time Lords don’t really that worry much about what sex they are.” (Body Snatched) He also mistakenly though he had regenerated into a woman shortly after his regeneration. (The End of Time)
- Shortly before regenerating, the Twelfth Doctor salutes Captain Archibald Hamish Lethbridge-Stewart, something that the Brigadier always wanted The Doctor to do. (Death in Heaven)
- The glass avatar of Bill Potts mentions that The Doctor”serves with the pleasure of the human race.” (Thin Ice)
- The Twelfth Doctor says “Snap” to the First Doctor when revealing that he’s his future self, in a similar fashion to when the Sixth and Second Doctors met. (The Two Doctors)