Asylum of the Daleks
1 September 2012
Jenna-Louise Coleman (Oswin Oswald), Anamaria Marinca (Darla von Karlsen), Naomi Ryan (Cassandra), David Gyasi (Harvey), Nicholas Briggs (Voice of the Daleks), Barnaby Edwards (Dalek 1), Nicholas Pegg (Dalek 2)
|Written by||Steven Moffat|
|Directed by||Nick Hurran|
|Produced by||Marcus Wilson|
The Doctor, Amy, and Rory are kidnapped by the Daleks, who explain that a planet They use as an asylum for mad Daleks must be destroyed, but to do that its force-field must be disabled. The field has already been ruptured due to the crash-landing of a precocious young woman, Oswin Oswald (Jenna-Louise Coleman) one year previously. The Daleks provide the three with bracelets to protect them against the planet’s defense system, which will convert any visitors into Dalek puppets.
Although they are guided by Oswin, who has hacked into the planet’s systems, the converted remains of Oswin’s crew steal Amy’s bracelet. The Doctor goes to find Oswin, as she claims to be able to disable the planet’s force-field, and Oswin hacks into the Dalek psychic link and erases all memory of the Doctor from the Daleks who had started to advance on him.
The Doctor discovers that Oswin has herself been fully converted into a Dalek, yet she still believes herself to be human. She ultimately realises the truth of her situation, but lowers the force-field and The Doctor, Amy, and Rory escape via teleporter before the planet is destroyed by Daleks.
The Doctor returns to the Dalek Parliament to find they have no memory of him due to Oswin’s interference.
- Surprise debut of Jenna Louise Colemanwho is going to be new assistant from Christmas 2012
- All Daleks appear including Special Weapons Dalek who has not been seen since Remembrance of the Daleks
- The Doctor’s“death” is public knowledge across the Universe. (The Wedding of River Song)
- Rory mentions waiting outside a box for two thousand years. (The Big Bang)
- The Doctor has a plaster on his finger that keeps disappearing and reappearing.
- In the ending scene where The Doctor is in the TARDIS, you can see the overhead camera reflected in the glass floor next to the console.
- When The Doctor, Amy and Rory are in the Dalek Holding Cell, the circular platform they are standing on lifts. On one shot, it shows them and the Daleks looking all around them – The Doctor is looking towards ‘us’ – but in the next shot, The Doctor is looking upwards into the Dalek Parliament.
- Skaro is the home planet of the Daleks. It still exists, with the remains of a large Dalek-shaped building.
- The Daleks have an asylum planet.
- The music played by Oswin Oswald is first “L’amour est un oiseau rebelle” then”Toreador, en garde!”.
- The Doctor claims to have played the triangle for the recording of “L’amour est un oiseau rebelle” that is heard in the Parliament of the Daleks.
- The music playing during Amy‘s photo-shoot at the beginning of the episode is”Feel the Love”.