“Who’s going to save us this time?”
April, 1914. The inhabitants of the little Norfolk town of Farringham are enjoying an early summer, unaware that war is on the way. Amongst them is Dr John Smith, a short, middle-aged history teacher from Aberdeen. He’s having a hard time with his new post as house master at Hulton College, a school dedicated to producing military officers.
Bernice Summerfield is enjoying her holiday in the town, getting over the terrible events that befell her in France. But then she meets a future Doctor, and things start to get dangerous very quickly. With the Doctor she knows gone, and only a suffragette and an elderly rake for company, can Benny fight off a vicious alien attack? And will Dr Smith be able to save the day?
- Human Nature was the thirty-eighth novel in the Virgin New Adventures series. It was released as an ebook on the BBC’s website in November 2002.
- Timothy Dean gets infected with the Doctor’s Time Lord DNA and gains two hearts and a respiratory bypass system. He is hanged by his classmates. The respiratory bypass system saves him.
- Benny drinks six pints on the planet Crex.
- Greeneye pretends to be the tenth incarnation of the Doctor. Coincidentally, when the novel was rewritten into a TV story, the Doctor featured was the Tenth.
- Timothy Dean died in 1995 with many children and grandchildren.
- Hutchinson is senior school captain.
- Alton is a Time Lord, undercover as a student to make sure things don’t go too far.
- In the TV Movie the Eighth Doctor kisses Grace twice; in Human Nature the Seventh kisses Joan six times. This might also make the Seventh Doctor the first to kiss, despite being someone else At The time.
- Time Lords are mentioned to dream of what it would be like to become the opposite sex. The Eleventh Doctor would later state he knew the Corsair in both male and female incarnations, indicating they could change sex during regeneration. (The Doctor’s Wife)