The Doctor’s Daughter
10 May 2008
|Written by||Stephen Greenhorn|
|Directed by||Alice Troughton|
|Produced by||Julie Garner and Phil Colinson|
The Doctor and his companions find themselves on the planet Messaline, the backdrop for a war between humans and the Hath that’s raged for generations. When Martha is abducted by the Hath, the Doctor and Donna are determined to rescue her. But first the Doctor must come to terms with unexpected fatherhood – and painful memories from his past.
- Georgia Moffett, who portrays the Doctor’s daughter Jenny in this episode, is in real life the daughter of Peter Davison, who portrayed the Doctor in the early 1980s. David Tennant married her in 2012
- The scar that The cloning machine leaves on the back of the Doctor’s hand is the same shape as the scar on the back of the child’s hand in Season 1’s _”Doctor Who” The Empty Child (2005)
- Donna Noble gets a cell phone upgrade, the second of 2 signs that she is the new companion, the other being a key to the TARDIS .
- Martha is kidnapped (Gridlock, The Sontaran Stratagem).
- In Fear Her, the Doctor mentions to Rose, "I was a dad once."
- In The Empty Child, Dr. Constantine says, "Before the war, I was both a father and a grandfather." The Ninth Doctor replies, "I know the feeling."
- The Doctor mentions his family. His family is first mentioned in The Tomb of the Cybermen and then in Delta and the Bannermen. His granddaughter first appeared on screen in An Unearthly Child, which was the very first episode of the entire Doctor Who series. He has a brother who first appeared in Theatre of War (he alludes to a brother in Smith and Jones), an (adoptive) daughter called Miranda Dawkins who first appeared in Father Time and a wife. (Blink, The Infinity Doctors/Cold Fusion) He has cousins who appeared in Lungbarrow.
- The Seventh Doctor says that he does not know if he has any living family members in The Curse of Fenric; in The Tomb of the Cybermen the Second Doctor says he believes them to be dead, as did Clara Oswald in Death in Heaven.
- As is routine for post-2005 Doctor Who, a “NEXT TIME” trailer for the next episode is shown At The end of the episode.