The Sontaran Stratagem
26 April 2008
Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler) , Christopher Ryan (General Staal), Rupert Holliday Evans (Colonel Mace), Bridget Hodgson (Captain Price), Dan Starkey (Commander Skorr), Bernard Cribbins (Wilfred Mott), Jacqueline King (Sylvia Noble), Eleanor Matsuura (Jo Nakashima) , Ryan Sampson (Luke Rattigan), Christian Cooke (Ross Jenkins), Clive Standen (Private Harris), Wesley Theobald (Private Gray), Ruari Mears (Clone) , Meryl Fernandes (Female Student), Leeshon Alexander (Male Student) , Kirsty Wark (Herself), Lachele Carl (US Newsreader), Jack Steed (Sontaran)
|Written by||Helen Raynor|
|Directed by||Douglas Mackinnon|
|Produced by||Julie Garner and Phil Colinson|
Donna’s helped the Doctor avert disaster in modern-day Britain and taken a trip back in time to the Roman Empire – now she’s ready to experience an alien world. The duo visit the home planet of the Ood, a servile race the Doctor has encountered before (in series two episodes The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit). A company run by the ruthless Mr Halpen (Tim McInnerny) is exploiting the genial aliens – and it’s up to the Doctor and Donna to discover the secret he’s hiding
- Donna said goodbye to her grandfather Wilf at the end of Partners In Crime. The Doctor last met him when he was working as a newspaper vendor on Christmas Ever in Voyage of the Damned. Sylvia previously encountered the Doctor in The Runaway Bride.
- Martha left the TARDIS at the end of Last of the Time Lords, whereupon she gave the Doctor a mobile phone with which she promised to contact him. Her fiancé, Tom Milligan, was also seen in that episode.
- Luke Rattigan invented Fountain Six.
- UNIT were previously known as the ‘United Nations Intelligence Taskforce’, although it is claimed the name was changed at the request of the UN to ‘Unified Intelligence Taskforce’ after their appearance in Aliens of London / World War Three.
- We first discover Martha is working for UNIT in the Torchwood episode Reset. The organisation is later seen in the episode Fragments.
- The Sontarans were last seen on television in the story The Two Doctors. they previously appeared in The Invasion Of Time, The Sontaran Experiment and The Time Warrior as well as various publications.
- The Doctor mentions that be once worked for UNIT, most notable in his third incarnation. His comment about not knowing whether it was in the 1970s or 1980s refers to the dating problems associated with various UNIT stories (especially Mawdryn Undead).
- Donna recalls events that occurred in Partners In Crime, The Fires of Pompeii and The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky.
- The Doctor once again mentions the Medusa Cascade, which was first referred to in The Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords.
- The Doctor is said to have led the battle in the Time War, which is hinted at in Doomsday.
- The Doctor‘s old friend the Brigadier is mentioned. Now the owner of a Knighthood, the Brig was last seen in Battlefield.
- The Valiant was previously seen in The Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords. It was designed by the Master and proved to be the centre of his evil scheme.
- Rose is seen on the TARDIS scanner screen for a split second when the Doctor contacts General Staal.
- Rose‘s last appearance was another brief cameo in Partners In Crime.
- When he is wearing a gas mask the Doctor coins the phrase “Are you my mummy?” This was the cry of The Empty Child.
- The Doctor’s severed hand makes a brief reappearance. It was cut off in The Christmas Invasion, seen again in series 1 of Torchwood and Utopia and was used by the Master in The Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords.
- As is routine for post-2005 Doctor Who, a "NEXT TIME" trailer for the next episode is shown at the end of the episode.