Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 1
Number of DVDs: 1
DVD Number: BBCDVD1960
Duration: 105 minutes
Release Date: 1 May 2006
David Tennant steps into the role of the Doctor for the second new series of Doctor Who. Following the phenomenal success of the first series, that took British television by storm in 2005, this second instalment is full of new thrills, new laughs, new heartbreak and some terrifying new monsters. Includes the episodes:
The first volume features episodes
– The Tenth Doctor recovers from his most recent regeneration and Rose battles the Scyorax will The Doctor wake in time.
– The Doctor takes Rose to New Earth, they meet up with Lady Cassandra again.
- The second series of British science fiction programme Doctor Who began on 25 December 2005 with the Christmas special “The Christmas Invasion“. Following the special, a regular series of thirteen episodes was broadcast, starting with”New Earth” on 15 April 2006. In addition, two short special episodes were produced, a Children in Need special and an interactive episode, as well as 13 TARDISODEs.
- Unlike series 1, the main production team did not feature Mal Young. Instead, Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner carried on as executive producers and Phil Collinson continued in his role as the main producer – an arrangement that persisted through to series 4’s Journey’s End.
- The main story arc for the season was the Torchwood Institute, referenced only twice previously, which served to lead up to the final episodes as well as the Torchwood spinoff series.