The Christmas Invasion
25 December 2005
Penelope Wilton (Prime Minister Harriet Jones), Camille Coduri (Jackie), Noel Clarke (Mickey), Adam Garcia (Alex Klein), Daniel Evans (Danny Llewellyn), Sean Gilder (Sycorax Leader), Anita Breim (Sally), Chu Ornambala (Major Blake), Sian McDowall (Sandra), Paul Anderson (Jason).
|Written by||Russell T. Davies|
|Directed by||James Hawes|
|Produced by||Julie Garner and Phil Colinson|
24 December on the Powell estate: Jackie Tyler is decorating a small, white Christmas tree and pining over her missing daughter, while Mickey Smith works at a garage just around the corner. Suddenly, both hear the familiar sound of the TARDIS materialising, and they rush out into the courtyard just as the TARDIS pops into existence in mid-air, careens wildly off the buildings, and skids to a halt on the corner.
A strange young man staggers out of the ship, giddily wishes Jackie and Mickey a merry Christmas, and faints. A moment later, Rose emerges from the TARDIS and tells the startled Jackie and Mickey that the strange young man is The Doctor..
- The organisation Torchwood makes its first appearance here, but not its last…
- The organisation UNIT, previously mentioned in Aliens of London, was introduced in the original series episode The Invasion and appeared on numerous occasions afterwards. The Martians to whom Major Blake refers may be the Ice Warriors, a recurring species introduced in The Ice Warriors; UNIT encountered them in the novel The Dying Days. He may, on the other hand, be referring to the radioactive aliens encountered by UNIT in The Ambassadors Of Death.
- The British Rocket Group was introduced in the classic Quatermass TV series.
- Prior to the broadcast of this episode, the Who is Doctor Who? website has a feature on Mars and links to the Guinevere Project website.
- While trying to bluff the Sycorax into leaving the Earth, Rose quotes Article 15 of the Shadow Proclamations, and cites the authority of the Slitheen Parliament of Raxacoricofallapatorius and The Gelth Confederacy as sanctioned by the Mighty Jagrafess and the Daleks.
- The Doctor implies that he’s personally met Arthur Dent — or at least somebody very much like the character Arthur Dent — the protagonist of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
- The Doctor finds an apple in the pocket of Howard’s bathrobe.
- The Hubble Array is following the course of the Sycorax ship.