27 September 2014
Ellis George (Courtney Woods), Samuel Jackson (Danny Pink), Nigel Betts (Mr Armitage), Edward Harrison (Adrian), Matthew (CSO), Andy Gillies, Nanya Campbell (Noah), Joshua Warner-Campbell (Yashe), Oliver Barry-Brook (Kelvin), Ramone Morgan (Tobias), Winston Ellis (Mr Woods), Gracy Goldman (Mrs Woods), Diana Katis (Mrs Christopholou), Jimmy Vee (Skovox Blitzer), Chris Addison (Seb), Michelle Gomez (Missy)
Gareth Roberts/Steven Moffat
|Produced by||Nikki Wilson|
The Doctor’s decision to use Clara’s school at the centre of a trap results in revelations in her personal life. Meanwhile, a Skovox Blitzer, powerful enough to destroy the planet, is loose in the corridors..
- Clara’s apartment number is 63 and she’s a teacher at Coal Hill school. Doctor Who began in 1963 and the first series followed two Coal Hill teachers – Ian and Barbara – sharing adventures with The Doctor…
- Coal Hill featured in the very first episode of Doctor Who and more recently, in The Day of the Doctor and severalTwelfth Doctor the Twelfth Doctoradventures. Ironically, when the Time Lord visited the school in Remembrance of the Daleks the headmaster assumed he’d come to apply for the vacant position of school caretaker!
- The Doctor believes ‘artron emissions’ may have brought the Blitzer to the area. Although its exact nature remains unclear, artron energy seems to be a form of energy with a physical connection to the process and actuality of time travel. Kate used it to track down The Doctor in The Power of Three and it has been mentioned as far back as the Fourth Doctor story, The Deadly Assassin.
- Jimmy Vee plays the Blitzer in The Caretaker, but this isn’t his Doctor Who debut. He appeared in The End of Worldas the Moxx of Balhoon and was the ‘Space Pig’ in Aliens of London/Word War III. He later starred as Bannakaffalatta in the 2007 Christmas Special, Voyage of the Damned.
- Danny isn’t the first soldier-turned-maths-teacher encountered by The Doctor. After the Time Lord’sold friend, Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, left UNIT he taught mathematics at Brendon Public School (Mawdryn Undead).
- ‘River and me had this big fight…’ That’s the first reference made by the Twelfth Doctor to River Song. He later asks Clara if she wants to see the Thames frozen over, so maybe the time-traveling archaeologist is on his mind… In A Good Man Goes To War, River revealed that The Doctor once took her ice skating on the River Thames in 1814, during the last of the great ‘Frost Fairs’.
- The Doctor previously went undercover in a school while in his tenth incarnation. (School Reunedition)
- Clara mentions Danny’s future descendant, Orson Pink, toTwelfth Doctor The Doctor. (Listen)
- the Twelfth Doctor continues to be uncomfortable with the military and soldiers. (Into The Dalek)
- The Doctor invites Clara to meet fish people. (The Underwater Menace)
- After being killed by the Skovox Blitzer, CSO Matthew arrives in the Promised Land. (Deep Breath, Into The Dalek, Robot of Sherwood)