The Underwater Menace
14 January 1967
Joseph Furst (Zaroff), Colin Jeavons (Damon), Noel Johnson (King Thous), Tom Watson (Ramo), Peter Stephens (Lolem), Gerald Taylor (Damon’s Assistant), Catherine Howe (Ara), P.G. Stephens (Sean), Paul Anil (Jacko), Roma Woodnutt (Nola), Graham Ashley (Overseer), Tony Handy (Zaroff’s Guard)
|Written by||Geoffrey Orme|
|Directed by||Julia Smith|
|Produced by||Innes Lloyd|
When the TARDIS lands on a volcanic island in the middle of the Pacific, The Doctor, Polly, Ben and Jamie soon find a passageway down to the lost city of Atlantis. There, The Doctor meets the famous scientist Professor Zaroff, who has concocted a mad plan to raise Atlantis by draining the ocean waters down into the Earth’s core, destroying the planet. It is up to Ben and Jamie to raise a revolution amongst the Atlantean Fish People before Polly is transformed into one herself.
- The soundtrack has been released as part of the BBC Radio Collection.
- Zaroff has a pet octopus! Zaroff is described as ‘the greatest living scientist since Leonardo’.
- Polly hits Zaroff with an enormous boulder and he goes ‘Ooh!’
- In Orme’s original draft scripts, Zaroff’s motivation was explained as being a sort of warped revenge for the deaths of his wife and children in a car crash. This was ed out before recording.
- * Despite lost it was found with part three of Galaxy 4 in November 2011
- Order the DVD in the BBC DVD Guide