Power Of The Daleks DVD
Number of DVDs 2
DVD Number TBA
Duration 135 minutes
Still suspicious of the younger man who says he is the Doctor, Ben and Polly discover that the TARDIS has landed on the Earth colony Vulcan. There, a scientist named Lesterson has unearthed a crashed capsule containing the inert forms of three Daleks. The Doctor is horrified to learn that Lesterson has reactivated them, intending for them to serve the colony’s populace. But the time travellers soon discover that the Daleks have a far more malevolent agenda.
- Alternate soundtracks – DVD only
- The option to listen to the story with a series of completely new digital re-masters of the original soundtrack – a stereo mix; a 5.1 surround sound mix and version of the original 1966 mono sound mix.
- Animation Test Footage
- A compilation of animation tests, created during the production of the new animated series.
- Audio Commentaries on all 6 episodes – DVD only
- Members of the original cast and crew are joined by members of the new animation unit to discuss the production of the story and its new animated reconstruction. Moderated by Toby Hadoke. Includes archive audio.
- Booklet with Production Notes – DVD only
- An extensively researched set of production notes, written by the noted television historian Andrew Pixley, covering the behind the scenes story of how the original production was made.
- Original Camera Scripts – DVD only
- Selected items of original production paperwork and a complete set of original camera scripts
- Original Title Sequence – new restoration
- An unedited presentation of the full original ‘Doctor Who’ title sequence, prepared using an all new HD re-master of the original film elements.
- The Power Of The Daleks Animation and Photo Gallery
- An extended gallery of images, featuring production photographs from the original 1966 series and artwork from the latest animated production, accompanied by incidental music from the story, which has been digitally re-mastered from the original music production tapes.
- The Power Of The Daleks Surviving Footage & Original Trailer – BBC Store/EST only
- A compilation of short film fragments and clips from the original 1966 BBC television production – the only surviving footage to remain of the show’s original BBC1 run.
- Original Dalek Voice Session Recording (1966) DVD only
- Rare and previously unreleased sections from the studio recordings that were made at Maida Vale Studios in 1966 for the Dalek voices.
- Servants and Masters – The Making of The Power Of The Daleks
- A specially prepared documentary directed by John Kelly and featuring interviews with members of the original 1966 cast and crew.
- Telesnap reconstruction.
- Around 400 individual still frames of film exist from the original 1966 television production of The Power Of The Daleks. These images were kept in the programme’s production files by the BBC Written Archive Centre. These images are here combined with the programme’s soundtrack to present a photographic reconstruction of the original programme.
- BBC Worldwide has announced that a brand new black and white animation based on audio recordings of the programme using the original cast, surviving photographs and film clips will be released 50 years to the minute after its only UK broadcast on BBC One.
- The six half hour episodes feature the regeneration, or as it was then called ‘renewal’, of First Doctor William Hartnell into Second Doctor Patrick Troughton, as the Time Lord and his companions Polly (Anneke Wills) and Ben (Michael Craze) do battle with the Daleks on the planet Vulcan.
- Doctor Who: The Power Of The Daleks is being produced by the team behind the highly successful animation of lost Dad’s Army episode A Stripe For Frazer, first released on BBC Store in February this year. The producer and director is Charles Norton, with character designs from acclaimed comic book artists Martin Geraghty and Adrian Salmon.
- Charles Norton says, “The Power Of The Daleks animation is the most ambitious Doctor Who archive restoration ever attempted and we’re all very honoured to be a part of such a an exciting project. Intelligent, suspenseful and magnificently staged, Power Of The Daleks is one of the great lost classics of 1960s television and a superb example of the black and white era at its finest.”
- Paul Hembury, Executive Producer, BBC Worldwide says, “Charles and his team are remarkably talented and passionate about Doctor Who and we are thrilled that fans will soon be able to enjoy this rather sinister but wonderful, classic story.”
click on images to enlarge