The Zygon Invasion
31 October 2015
Ingrid Oliver (Osgood), Jemma Redgrave (Kate), Jaye Griffiths (Jac), Cleopatra Dickens (Claudette), Sasha Dickens (Jemima), Rebecca Front (Walsh), Abhishek Singh (Little boy), Samila Kularatne (Little boy’s mum), Todd Kramer (Hitchley), Jill Winternitz (Lisa), Gretchen Egolf (Norlander), Karen Mann (Hitchley’s Mum), Aidan Cook (Zygon), Jenna Coleman (Bonnie – uncredited).
|Written by||Peter Harness|
|Directed by||Daniel Netheim|
|Produced by||Peter Bennett|
The Zygons, a race of shapeshifting aliens, have been living in secret among us on Earth, unknown and unseen – until now!
When Osgood is kidnapped by a rogue gang of Zygons, The Doctor, Clara and UNIT must scatter across the world in a bid to set her free. But will they reach her in time, and can they stop an uprising before it’s too late?
- The Zygon Invasion was the seventh episode of the ninth series of Doctor Who produced by BBC Wales.
- The human/Zygon treaty is referenced (The Day of the Doctor) Since then, a version of Osgood has died. (Death in Heaven)
- Kate mentions a previous attempt at invasion by the Zygons which occurred in the 1970s or 1980s. (Terror of the Zygons)
- Kate still confuses the UNIT timelines. (The Day of the Doctor)
- Osgood reminds the Twelfth Doctor that he used to wear a lot of question marks on his clothes (The Leisure Hive–Survival) when he comments on her question mark jumper, an allusion to his seventh incarnation. (Time and the Rani)
- A weapon called the ZX-7, confiscated by the Twelfth Doctor, was invented by Harry Sullivan shortly after he left the Fourth Doctor (Terror of the Zygons)
- Clara is kidnapped by the Zygons and replaced with a Zygon duplicate called Bonnie. This is the third occasion that a companion or assistant of The Doctor has been copied by a Zygon (Kate Stewart and Osgood were both copied in The Day of the Doctor, whilst Harry Sullivan was copied in Terror of the Zygons)
- The Doctor takes on the title of President of Earth. (Death in Heaven, The Hyperion Empire)
- A portrait of the First Doctor hangs in the UNIT safe house in South London.
- The Doctor starts calling himself”Doctor Disco” and”Doctor Funkenstein.”
- The Doctor plays Amazing Grace on his guitar.
- The Doctor refers to Jemima and Claudette as”Monster High” and”Cinderella.”
- When the Twelfth Doctor introduces himself as”The President of Earth, ” a UNIT official answers with “Yes, we know who you are, ” a reference to Harriet Jones.
- Clara’s voicemail greeting says she’s either on the tube or in outer space.
- Clara says she heard about the series Truth or Consequences on the game Trivial Pursuit.
- A poster in Osgood’s office says that the White House has appointed an alien ambassador.
- The Doctor gave the Osgoods an Osgood Box that was only to be used in the Nightmare Scenario and if Operation Double was broken.
- Osgood has the TARDIS’s phone number. She uses a question mark as its contact photo.
- The Doctor wears his sonic sunglasses. (The Magician’s Apprentice/The Witch’s Familiar, Under the Lake/Before the Flood, The Girl Who Died, The Woman Who Lived)
- Drakeman Junior School is located in Dulwich.
- Jac was able to hack CC from Scotland Yard.
- The Radio Times programme listing was accompanied by a small colour shot of Osgood and the Twelfth Doctor, with the accompanying caption”Doctor Who / 8.15 p.m. Osgood is snatched by aliens, prompting a round-the-world rescue mission”.
- Given that the “Clara” in most of this episode is a Zygon duplicate, this is the second consecutive episode in which the real Clara is only onscreen up until the scene in Sandeep’s flat, and in the concluding seconds of the episode.
- The Zygons use pods to contain humans.