The Doctor The Widow and the Wardrobe
25 December 2011
Matt Smith (The Doctor)
Claire Skinner (Madge Arwell), Holly Earl (Lily Arwell), Maurice Cole (Cyril Arwell), Bill Bailey (Droxil), Arabella Weir (Billis), Paul Bazely (Ven-Garr), Alexander Armstrong (Reg Arwell), Spencer Wilding (Wooden King), Paul Kasey (Wooden Queen), Karen Gilan (Amy), Arthur Darvil (Rory)
|Written by||Steven Moffat|
|Directed by||Farren Blackburn|
|Produced by||Marcus Wilson|
‘Best Christmas ever!’
The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe is a festive adventure as magical as Santa Claus and as timeless as The Doctor himself!
Written by Steven Moffat and with a dazzling cast led by Matt Smith that includes Claire Skinner, Bill Bailey, Arabella Weir, Paul Bazely and Alexander Armstrong, The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe sees the Time Lord befriend the Arwells, a family from war-torn Britain who are about to experience a wintry wonderland where beauty and danger await…
- The three tree harvesters are from Androzani Major in the year 5345, a planet already featured in the serial The Caves of Androzani.
- The Doctor mentions the Magna Carta which is mentioned in the serial The King’s Demons
- Alexander Armstrong previously appeared in Doctor Who episodes” The Stolen Earth” and” Journey’s End” as the voice of Mr Smith, an alien computer, his character from The Sarah Jane Adventure
- Arabella Weir previously appeared as an alternate incarnation of the Thirteenth Doctor in the Doctor Who Unbound audio drama Exile.
- At seven words, this episode is tied with Journey To The Centre of the TARDIS for having the longest title of any Doctor Who episode. Coincidentally, the titles of both episodes are inspired by a book/film.
- At the end of the episode, Amy Pond points a water pistol at the Eleventh Doctorwhen he shows up on her doorstep. Previously, she has twice aimed a gun at her daughter, River Song (The Impossible Astronaut, A Good Man Goes To War) and at Silents. (The Wedding of River Song) The Tenth Doctor once protected Donna Noble by bluffing the Soothsayers with a water pistol. That episode was the first that Karen Gillan ever appeared in, as a Soothsayer. (The Fires of Pompeii)
- The TARDIS’ lock can be picked with a hatpin. This is false as it wasn’t the TARDIS Madge unlocked with a hatpin.
- Spencer Wilding (the Wooden King) previously played the Minotaur in The God Complex.