Shadow of Death
Following an emergency landing, the TARDIS arrives on a remote world orbiting a peculiar star – a pulsar which exerts an enormous gravitational force, strong enough to warp time.
On further exploration The Doctor and his friends, Jamie and Zoe, discover a human outpost on the planet surface, inhabited by scientists who are there to study an ancient city. The city is apparently abandoned, but the scientists are at a loss to explain what happened to its sophisticated alien architects.
The Doctor discovers that something dark, silent and deadly is also present on the world – and it is slowly closing in on the human intruders…
- Jamie was born in 1724.
- Zoe has recently joined the TARDIS crew, while Jamie estimates he’s been travelling with The Doctor for”two or three” years.
- The Doctor refers to his first incarnation’s former companion Steven Taylor.
- Dr. Sophie Topolovic and her colleagues Woodbridge, Callaghan, Miles and Gough are members of the Fifth Galactic Surveyor Corps. Sophie blames The Doctor, Jamie and Zoe for Woodbridge’s death.
- TheEleventh Doctor sends the Second Doctor a message using his psychic paper.
- TheSecond Doctor, who briefly views the future Doctor via a psychic link, describes his eleventh incarnation’sbow tie as “rather fetching.”
- The Doctor spends several years on the surface of the planet, while only a few hours pass for Jamie and Zoe.
- Jamiewas 22 years old when he first met The Doctor in the aftermath of the Battle of Culloden on 16 April 1746. (The Highlanders)
- Jamie recalls walking on the Moon in 2070. (The Moonbase)
- Jamie compares the Quiet Ones to the Cybermen. (The Moonbase, The Tomb of the Cybermen)
- The Doctor mentions that Jamie referred to aeroplanes as “flying beasties” during their visit to Gatwick Airport on 20 July 1966. (The Faceless Ones)
- The Doctor refers to the Hostile Action Displacement System. (The Krotons) As The Doctor explains to Zoe what the HADS does, this implies the story takes place prior to The Krotons.