The Unicorn And The Wasp
17 May 2008
Fenella Woolgar (Agatha Christie), Felicity Kendal (Lady Clemency Eddison), Felicity Jones (Robina Redmond), Christopher Benjamin (Colonel Hugh), Tom Goodman-Hill (Reverend Golightly), Ian Barritt (Professor Peach), David Quitter (Greeves), Adam Rayner (Roger Curbishley), Dabiel King (Davenport), Charlotte Eaton (Mrs Hart), Leena Dhingra (Miss Chandrakala)
|Written by||Gareth Roberts|
|Directed by||Graeme Harper|
|Produced by||Julie Garner and Phil Colinson|
The Doctor and Donna find themselves in the middle of a classic murder mystery. So it’s a good thing Agatha Christie, crime writer extraordinaire, is around to help them solve it. There are no end of suspects at Lady Eddison’s estate – and don’t discount the giant alien wasp… Might the strange goings-on explain the mystery of those infamous ten days in 1926 when Christie went missing?
- Agatha Christie did indeed disappear in 1926, and the reason for this is unknown – Christie having claimed to have no memory of the event. There is, however, one main difference between the story told here and the true events (apart from the involvement of a giant wasp of course), in reality Christie’s car was found in a chalk pit, not beside a lake.
- Donna inadvertently refers to the events of The Unquiet Dead when she claims that The likelihood of meeting Agatha Christie surrounded by a murder mystery would be as unbelievable as meeting Charles Dickens surrounded by ghosts at Christmas.
- The Doctor reveals he has kept the chest plate of a Cyberman (obtained in The Age Of Steel) and also the orb in which he trapped the Carrionites in The Shakespeare Code.
- This isn’t the first time the Doctor has encountered giant alien wasps – the met similar creatures in The Web Planet.
- Although the Doctor claims in Terror Firma that he travelled with Agatha Christie for a while, he doesn’t acknowledge that here – apparently having met her for the first time in this story (which follows on from comments he made in Last of the Time Lords).
- Donna orders a sidecar and the Doctor orders a lime soda At The garden party.
- Donna and Agatha Christie drink orange juice and Golightly tries to poison the Doctor by slipping cyanide into his lemonade.
- It is routine for post-2005 Doctor Who, a “NEXT TIME” trailer for the next episode is shown At The end of the episode.