Cat’s Cradle Witch Mark
“Spare no sympathy for those creatures. They were witches, they deserved to die.”
A coach crashes on the M40. All the passengers are killed. The bodies carry no identification, they are wearing similar new clothes. And each has a suitcase full of banknotes.
A country vet delivers a foal. The mare has a deep wound in her forehead. In the straw, the vet finds a tapered horn.
In the darkening and doomed world known to its inhabitants as Tír na n-Óg, the besieged humans defend the walls of their citadel Dinorben against mythical beasts and demons.
The TARDIS’s link with the Eye of Harmony is becoming ever more tenuous and is in urgent need of repair. But the time machine takes The Doctor and Ace to a village in rural Wales, and a gateway to another world.
- Cat’s Cradle Witch Mark is the seventh novel in the Virgin New Adventures series and the final book in the Cat’s Cradle arc.
- The Doctor and Ace eat potato and leek soup.
- The Doctor fries up bacon for everyone.
- Ace doesn’t like Spam.
- Acerefers to events/experiences of Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks, and Survival.
- The Doctor once again encounters a biomechanoid dragon, having met the Dragon of Iceworld. (Dragonfire)
- The Doctor comments that spiders can be nasty things. (Planet of the Spiders)
- Gallifrey as a source of “morphologically unstable living organic matter” may refer to validium. (Silver Nemesis)
- The mention of King Arthur is an indirect reference to Battlefield.
- The Doctor refers to the time he took his past companion Mel to a Welsh holiday camp in the 1950s. (Delta and the Bannermen)
- Ace mentions that she used to be waitress and remembers the time she met the Cheetah People. (Survival) She also remembers the time she went to 1963. (Remembrance of the Daleks)
- When the demons are fought off using faith, Ace thinks of the Haemovores, aliens which were similarly fought off. (The Curse of Fenric)