Tom Baker (The Doctor), Lalla Ward (Romana), Kate Bracken (Celia Soames), Mark Bonnar (Zoltan Frid), Peter Barrett (Guard-Major Priskin), John Dorney (Ensign Kanta), Anjella Mackintosh (Anita Kereki)
Other parts played by members of the cast
The Doctor and Romana land in Budapest, intent on enjoying another holiday, but shortly after landing they find themselves too late to save the life of a man who has seemingly been attacked by a vampire. As they learn that this is the latest in a series of violent attacks, it becomes clear that they have stumbled onto something that needs investigating.
Aided by a vampire hunter who is searching for Dracula, they look into the nearby Buda caves, currently being used for storage by the military – and find that the soldiers have problems of their own.
Stalked through the tunnels by a monster, and up against an ancient evil, the race is on to escape alive – and foil the dastardly schemes of the maniacal Zoltan Frid.
Written By: Eddie Robson
Directed By: Nicholas Briggs
‘A skilfully written and produced twist on the normal vampire tale. 9/10’ SFB
‘Tom Baker and Lalla Ward, as The Doctor and Romana give, as they always do, one hundred and ten percent… Mark Bonnar is so good in this suspense laden tale of dark, devious shivers and thrills…’ Tim Mass Movement
‘Balancing gothic chills with playful humour, Eddie Robson’s script packs in healthy levels of invention and delivers a rounded and characterful adventure romp. 4/5’ SFX
- The Labyrinth of Buda Castle was second release of season 5.
- Vlad the Impaler was imprisoned in the labyrinth beneath Buda Castle. During his fifth incarnation, The Doctor encountered Vlad in Ungro-Wallachia in June 1462. (Son of the Dragon)
- The Doctor is found over a body and thought to be the killer. (Earthshock)
- The Doctor tells Celia that he has previously crawled through sewers. (The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- The Doctor uses his watch for hypnosis. (Revelation of the Daleks)
- Romana still has her sonic screwdriver. (Wave of Destruction; The Horns of Nimon)
- Priskin mentions “patterns that aren’t there.” (The TV Movie)
- A vampire influences Frid’s development via morphic fields. (Lucifer Rising)
- The Doctor tells Celia that he has died “occasionally” but has always come back. (The Tenth Planet, The War Games, Planet of the Spiders; The Night Walkers)
- Frid glimpses The Doctor’s secrets. (Silver Nemesis)
- The Doctor and Romana would later encounter three other vampires, Aukon, Camilla and Zargo, and the King Vampire on a planet in E-Space. (State of Decay)