12 November 1964
The story from the beginning! Here is the exciting adventure of Dr. Who,Susan, Barbara, Ian, from the moment they meet one foggy autumn night on a lonely common beside a Police Box (Ah, but what a curious Police Box!) to the time they encounter the weird Daleks.
It is a thrilling story, and we know this book will be one of the most popular published in the Armada series.
Can you wait any longer? Start reading!
- A Meeting on the Common
- Prisoners in Space
- The Dead Planet
- The Power of the Daleks
- Escape into Danger
- The Will to Survive
- The Lake of Mutations
- The Last Despairing Try
- The End of the Power
- A New Life
DEVIATIONS FROM THE TELEVISED STORY
- The book is told in first person by Ian.
- The opening deviates greatly in that Ian and Barbara have never met each other. Ian has never met The Doctor or Susan prior to the events of the story, thereby ignoring the events of An Unearthly Child. The novelisation of An Unearthly Child would not be published until 1981.
- The first two chapters are a brief account of An Unearthly Child.
- The meeting in the junkyard changes to a car crash on Barnes Common.
- Ian is on his way home to Paddington, having just come back from trying to get a job as an assistant research scientist at Donneby’s in Reigate.
- Susan was being personally tutored by Barbara.
- Susan says The Doctor is very rich, as he paid twenty pounds a week for Susan‘s tutor lessons.
- Susan wrote a thirty page essay on Robespierre.
- The yearometer in the TARDIS was damaged on a previous trip, and The Doctor has been meaning to fix it.
- A Dalek is described as having some emotion in its voice.
- Susan Foreman is referred to by the name “Susan English”.
- The circles on the TARDIS walls can be used to store things.
- Ian is not trapped inside the Dalek casing, and escapes with ease long before the Daleks can cut through the door to the lift.
- A Dalek leader inside a transparent casing appears. An actual Glass Dalek appeared in the television story Revelation of the Daleks.
- Gurna is Alydon‘s cousin. He accompanied The Doctor‘s group into the Dalek city. Salthyana is a female who says Kristas will propose to her the next day.
- Ratanda is a drink made by the Thals.