The Haunting of Thomas Brewster
Peter Davison (the Doctor), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Leslie Ash (Mother), Christian Coulson (Robert McIntosh), John Pickard (Thomas Brewster), Barry McCarthy (Creek), Sid Mitchell (Pickens), Trevor Cooper (Shanks)
Thomas Brewster is haunted by the ghost of his drowned mother. But she is not the only apparition to disturb his dreams. Every few years, he is visited by a mysterious blue box…
Helped by his new assistant, the young Scots scientist Robert McIntosh, the Doctor struggles to unravel the twisted knot of temporal implausibilities which bind the TARDIS to Thomas Brewster. Meanwhile, lost in the stews of Victorian London, Nyssa must face a host of spectral creatures gathering in the fog.
Written By: Jonathan Morris
Directed By: Barnaby Edwards
- The Haunting of Thomas Brewster introduced Thomas Brewster, and was the first of three releases — but four stories — involving the Fifth Doctor, Nyssa and Brewster.
- Brewster’s first memory is of his mother’s funeral in 1851.
- Brewster is able to access the TARDIS by stealing the key which Nyssa keeps in her left breast pocket.
- Nyssa mentions the death of her parents. (The Keeper of Traken)
- The Daleks, Edward Waterfield and Theodore Maxtible similarly used mirrors and lenses for the purposes of time travel in 1866. (The Evil of the Daleks)
- The Doctor mentions that The destiny of Earth is “ash and clinker.” (The Mutants)
- The TARDIS creates a breeze as it materialies. (The TV Movie, Rose, The Unquiet Dead).