“Doc’s peddling bootleg liquor in an illegal speakeasy. You’re carrying a gun for him, Ace – which makes you no better than any other gun-moll.”
Dekker is a private eye; an honest one. But when Al Capone hires him to investigate a new joint called ‘Doc’s’, he knows this is one job he can’t refuse. And just why are The Doctor and Ace selling illegal booze in a town full of murderous gangsters?
Meanwhile, Bernice has been abandoned on a vampire-infested planet outside normal space. There she meets a mysterious stranger called Romanadvoratrelundar — and discovers an ancient and malevolent power, linking 1929 Chicago with a lair of immortal evil.
The consequences of this story are inextricably linked to events in The Doctor’s past.
- Blood Harvest was the twenty-eighth New Adventures novel.
- The Doctor can play the piano.
- This is a sequel to State of Decay and in some ways to The Five Doctors.
- The Doctor uses his Reichsinspektor General badge, and gives back Spandrell’s Gallifreyan Army Knife, both of which appeared in Timewyrm: Exodus.
- Dekker reappears in Players, in which he meets the Sixth Doctor and Peri Brown in London in December 1936. He obliquely refers to the Seventh Doctor and Ace. Peri suggests that he is speaking of one of his future incarnations but The Doctor dismisses this idea out of hand.
- Romana talks about the Doctor’s companions like they’re amusing pets.
- Borusa is freed from imprisonment.