“You know me then?” asked the Doctor, a little tentatively.
“You’re The Doctor, ” replied Fitz, a slight frown worming its way on to his forehead.
“Yes, yes, yes, The Doctor, of course I am.” The Doctor smiled, genuinely pleased to see a familiar face, even if for the moment he couldn’t quite put a name to it.“But, er, Doctor who?” he added, hopefully.
The Doctor and Fitz are back together at last, but The Doctor is not the man he once was – which is a shame, because Fitz has promised Anji Kapoor that his old friend is Anji’s best hope of finding her alien-abducted boyfriend, Dave.
Soon The Doctor, Fitz and Anji find themselves involved in a desperate contest between Pierre-Yves Dudoin and Arthur Tyler the Third, each determined to be the first privately funded man in space. But not all the parties are playing fairly: members of an alien race called the Kulan are helping the Frenchman – and at the far reaches of the Solar System their battle fleet awaits…
Can The Doctor find Dave before the alien contact proves fatal? Who are the secret agents keeping tabs on the rival Space Race teams? Will The Doctor’s mysterious blue box finally reveal its purpose? And does The Doctor, now truly a man without a past, have what it takes to stop the Kulan Invasion of Earth…?
- Escape Velocity was the forty-second novel in the BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures series. It was written by Colin Brake. It featured the Eighth Doctor and Fitz Kreiner and introduced new companionAnji Kapoor.
- Sam Jones told Fitz about regeneration and Fitz wonders if The Doctor will have regenerated.
- The TARDIS is restored in this novel with a new control room with a kitchen to the side, two swimming pools and various other rooms.
- The end of this novel leads straight into EarthWorld and mirrors the end of the first episode of the DoctorWho story An Unearthly Child with a ancient landscape.
- The Doctor passes Perivale while going in a car with Anji Kapoor. He has the impression that he knows this area, but the only thing he remembers is “something vague about cats”. (Survival)