The Silent Stars Go By
“Things have to get worse before they can get better. Trouble is, I think they’re about to get a lot worse. As worse as worse can be. And then some.”
For centuries the Morphans have worked. With no help from other worlds, they subsist on the food they can grow and that’s little enough. But their purpose, their whole life is to maintain the machines that will one day make their world as habitable as old Earth.
Life used to be hard. Now as their crops fail, livestock sickens, and the temperature drops, it’s becoming impossible. This year’s winter festival won’t be the usual celebration. It’s not a time for optimism or hope – and it’s not a time to welcome unexpected guests. The Doctor, Amy and Rory find a society breaking apart under the strain. Tensions are mounting, old rivalries are coming to the fore, people are dying…
And then the Doctor’s old enemies the Ice Warriors make their move. With the cold-hearted threat of invasion, the real battle for survival begins. Or does it? The Doctor begins to suspect that behind everything lies a deadlier, and even more chilling danger…
- The Silent Stars Go By is a hardcover book that marked the return of the Ice Warriors. It was the last novel to feature Amy Pond and Rory Williams.
- The title is a quotation from the Christmas Carol, “O Little Town of Bethlehem”. All the chapter titles are also quotations from Christmas carols.
- The Doctor mentions the Jagrafess (The Long Game) and Castrovalva (Castrovalva).
- The Doctor mentions having a fur coat. (The Abominable Snowmen, The Five Doctors, Time and the Rani)
- Amy describes the Daleks as “Ras-py voiced a-liens who talk like this and yell ex-ter-mi-nate”. Amy met the Daleks in Victory Of The Daleks.