For Donna Noble, the Andromeda galaxy is a long, long way from home. But, even two and a halfmillion light years from Earth, some things never change… A visit to an art gallery turns into a race across space to uncover the secret behind a shadowy organisation. From the desert world of Karris to the interplanetary scrapyard of Junk, The Doctor and Donna discover that appearances can be deceptive, that enemies are lurking around every corner – and that the centuries-long peace between humans and machines may be about to come to an end. Because waiting in the wings to bring chaos to the galaxy is the Cult of Shining Darkness.
listen to a sample
- Shining Darkness was the twenty-first Tenth Doctor novel released.
- The Doctor mentions the periodical Delia’s How To Boil Water.
- Donna recalls Pompeii (The Fires of Pompeii) and the Ood-Sphere. (Planet of the Ood)
- The machine on the front cover resembles both a Pyrovile and a Cyberman. It is named Mother.
- The Doctor asks Mother if she can send the Mechanicals to their room, claiming”that sometimes works”. This is a reference to The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.
- Huon particles are mentioned. (The Runaway Bride)