It is 3999. An artificial planetoid, Micawber’s World, is hosting the Intergalactic Olympic Games, and athletes from all the worlds in the Galactic Federation are coming to take part. But when The Doctor and Sam arrive, murders soon begin…
The Doctor finds himself drafted in to examine some bizarre new drugs that are said to enhance the natural potential of the competing athletes. But what is their real purpose? Why are members of the Security Forces disappearing randomly? And just why is Chase Carrington, manufacturer of the drug, so protective of his company’s secrets?
Watching and waiting, at the very heart of Micawber’s World, is a race of parasites The Doctor has fought before. The Wirrn have come to the Milky Way from Andromeda, determined to spread their seed throughout a whole new galaxy, and it seems to Sam that The Doctor’s hands are too full to pay their threat full attention…
- Placebo Effect was the thirteenth BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures. It was written by Gary Russell. It featured The Doctor and Samantha Jones. It also featured Stacy Townsend and Ssard, a human and Ice Warrior respectively, who had travelled with The Doctor in the Radio Times comic stories. This novel therefore is the first BBC Books novel to feature a crossing of two different ranges.
- The Doctor is now at least partly aware that Sam had “a bit of a crush on him.”
- Sam Jones’s middle initial is an A.
- There is a bust of Rassilon in the TARDIS.
- This is the first”crossover” novel of the EDAs, crossing characters from the Radio Times comic strip with novel characters and events.
- The Wirrn first appeared in The Ark in Space.