An Ordinary Life
An Ordinary Life
Peter Purves (Steven Taylor/Narrator/The Doctor), Jean Marsh (Sara Kingdom), Ram John Holder (Joseph Roberts), Damian Lynch (Michael Newman), Sara Powell (Audrey Newman), Stephen Critchlow (Billy Flint)
1950s London: newcomers arrive daily on British shores seeking a fresh start, new opportunities, or simply the chance of a different life. However, some are from much further afield than India or Jamaica…
After an emergency landing, the TARDIS crew must make the best of it, and look to their new neighbours for help. But the Newman family has more than the prejudices of the time to contend with. A sinister force grows in strength amid the pubs, docks and backstreets of London…
And without The Doctor, marooned in a time and place as alien as anything they’ve ever encountered, Steven and Sara may well face their greatest challenge yet. To live an ordinary life.
Written By: Matt Fitton
Directed By: Ken Bentley
- An Ordinary Life was the fourth and final story of the first season of the Early Adventures.
- This story was recorded at The Moat Studios.
- When asked by Audrey whether she really has a brother, Sara mentions the death of her brother Bret Vyon. (The Daleks’ Master Plan)
- While speaking with Sara, Steven says that in the following decade The Doctor will arrive on Earth. (An Unearthly Child) He also mentions other two companions of the Doctor, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, whom he previously met on Mechanus. (The Chase)
- The Doctor starts to sing a Venusian lullaby. (The Curse of Peladon)
- the Tenth Doctor too will later sleep through an alien invasion. (The Christmas Invasion)
- Steven will once again be stranded in the 1950s some time after, this time because of the Vardans. (The Vardan Invasion of Mirth)