Number of DVDs 1
DVD Number BBCDVD1802
Duration 167 minutes
An experiment gone awry sends The Doctor (Jon Pertwee) to a parallel universe where his friends and companions are members of a fascist regime in this thrilling and popular episode from the long-running science fiction series Doctor Who.
Inferno is the name of a project designed to drill into the Earth’s core and release a powerful energy source called Stahlman’s Gas; what’s yielded instead is an insidious substance that transforms men into monsters.
The resulting chaos interrupts The Doctor’s travel in the TARDIS and knocks him into an alternate Earth run by a military dictatorship, and where Project Inferno’s progress threatens to bring about an apocalypse.
- Commentary by Nicholas Courtney (The Brigadier), Barry Letts (Producer), Terrance Dicks (Script Editor) and John Levene (Benton)
- Can You Hear the Earth Scream? A 35-minute documentary that looks at the making of Inferno. With contributions from Caroline John (Liz), Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, Ian Fairbairn (Bromley), Barry Letts, Terrance Dicks and Derek Ware (stunt arranger)
- The UNIT Family (Part One) A 36-minute feature that looks at the role of UNIT in the world of Doctor Who through to the end of Jon Pertwee’s first year as The Doctor
- Deleted Scene A 2-minute scene not included in the UK transmission of the story
- Visual Effects Promo Film An excerpt from a BBC Visual Effects Department showreel
- The Pertwee Years – Introduction Jon Pertwee’s original introduction to the final episode of this story
- Radio Times Billings Articles and listings from Radio Times (DVD-ROM PC / Mac)
- The Doctor Who Annual 1971 (DVD-ROM)This story was originally broadcast on BBC1 between 9th May – 20th June 1970