|Publication Date||January 1975|
1975 Target Books edition
Again, the terrifying cry rang out. The Doctor quickened his pace along the gloomy tunnels of the castle. Suddenly, from the darkness lumbered the mighty Aggedor, Royal Beast and Protector of the Kingdom of Peladon!
The Doctor fumbled in his pocket. Would the device work? As he trained the spinning mirror on the eyes of Aggedor, the terrible claws came closer and closer…
What is the secret behind the killings on the Planet of Peladon? Is Aggedor seeking revenge because the King of Peladon wants the kingdom to become a member of the Galactic Federation? Will The Doctor escape the claws of Aggedor and discover the truth?
1992 Target Books edition
‘THIS IS THE TARDIS,’ SNAPPED THE DOCTOR, ‘NOT A NUMBER 88 BUS!’
The Doctor and Jo simply meant to take a little ride in the TARDIS, to check that it was working. There was a small fault in the Interstitial Beam Synthesizer, perhaps, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed…
But instead the TARDIS takes them to Peladon, a medieval world which is seeking membership of the Galactic Federation. Delegates have gathered on the planet from all over the galaxy, and among them are representatives from Alpha Centauri, from Archturus and, from Mars, some of the Doctor’s oldest and most dangerous enemies…
This is a novelisation by Brian Hayles of his own original television story, which featured Jon Pertwee in the role of the Doctor.
- The Deadly Guardian
- Into the Chasm
- An Enemy from the Past
- The Doctor Must Die
- The Attack on Arcturus
- The Temple of Aggedor
- Escape to Danger
- Trial by Combat
- A Conspiracy of Terror
- The Battle for the Palace
- The King’s Avenger
DEVIATIONS FROM THE TELEVISED STORY
- The original idea that Alpha Centauri’s colour changed to reflect their mood was retained in the novelisation, but dropped from the televised version.
- The Doctor notices trisilicate in the tunnels.
- Jo tries to convince Grun to throw the fight.
- The Doctor impersonates Mohammed Ali.
- Peladon makes a deal with the spirit of Aggedor.
- As in the televised version, Amazonia is unnamed – being referred to as simply”the lady Earth Delegate” and”Madam Chairman”.