Do you remember the ’80s? The Rubik’s cube… Duran Duran… deelyboppers… and the Cuddlesomes — pink vampire hamsters, the must-have toy of twenty-three Christmases ago.
For so long now, the Cuddlesomes have been forgotten, lying in attics and junk shops. But now they’re waking up. and they want to give us all a cuddle. A long, slow, deadly cuddle…
Landing in an England gripped by a strange new plague, The Doctor is soon on the Cuddlesomes’ trail. But the toys are just part of a twisted plan to wipe out a whole generation…
- Cuddlesome was a 2008 audio drama starringthe Fifth Doctor. A remake of an Audio Visuals story of the same title,
- John Dixon had a Cuddlesome in the 1980s.
- The original Cuddlesome factory in Shoreham closed down in 1983.
- John’s father lives in Brisbane.
- Fifth Doctor was trying to visit Brighton in 1818.
his story was originally produced as an unofficial Audio Visuals production, with Nicholas Briggs as The Doctor. Briggs provides the voice of a newsreader in the remake.
- Angela Wisher is named as a tribute to the late Michael Wisher, who played Ronald Turvey in the original Audio Visuals version of Cuddlesome. He is best known for originating the role of Davros, the creator of the Daleks, in Genesis of the Daleks.
- The story includes a reference to eBay. The Doctor also makes use of the early 1990s catchphrase”hammer time.” At one point, he also insists on driving a woman’s car after she has had too much to drink, one of the few occasions sincethe Fourth Doctor gave up Bessie (Robot) that The Doctor has driven a vehicle.