Siri O’Neal (Colonel Emily Chaudhry), Nicholas Deal (Colonel Robert Dalton), Robert Curbishley (Lieutenant Hoffman), Ian Brooker (Dr Hendrick), Ian Hayles (Kevin), Toby Longworth (Goran), Jane MacFarlane (Anni)
A mobile phone call to the emergency services, a body found on Government land and an ancient burial site unearthed at an archaeological dig all point toward an odd mystery by the coast…
UNIT’s new commander, Colonel Robert Dalton, and its political officer, Colonel Emily Chaudhry, investigate strange goings-on in Southend. What is out there on the beach? What happened to the recently found savaged body? And what of the man who’s just been smuggled in to the country?
Is this just a simple case for the local police or, as Chaudhry suspects, is there more to it than meets the eye…?
- Snake Head was the third story in the Big Finish UNIT audio series. It was written by Jonathan Clements.
- This is the only audio drama in the UNIT series not to feature the BBC / Planet 3 journalist Francis Currie.
- This audio drama was recorded on 6 August 2004.
- General Lethbridge-Stewart’s introduction of the Silurian ambassador can be heard in the background at the beginning of the story. (The Coup)
- Dalton refers to Dick Van Dyke, Germaine Greer and the idea of Occam’s razor.
- Hoffman answers the phone as “Pizza Hut”.
- Chaudhry wonders if the Saxon body is the Grendel from the myth of Beowulf.
- Dalton says there could be a reasonable explanation, rather than a “John Smith” explanation.
- Kevin married his wife in 2002.
- The last sighting of a Vârkolak was in Kosovo in 1959, just before the country became communist. However, since the fall of communism in the 1990s, attacks have begun to happen again.