The Mists of Time
Anneke Wills (Polly), Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), Katy Manning (Jo Grant), Mark Strickson (Vislor Turlough), John Pickard (Thomas Brewster), Russell Floyd (Gerry Lenz), Andrew Whipp (Calder), Toby Longworth (Thaddeus P Winklemeyer)
Many years ago, when she was travelling with The Doctor, Jo Grant visited Zayin Eight. Now, suddenly and inexplicably, she is back on that ravaged planet, and reunited with a human called Newton Calder. What happened to the missing members of Calder’s team? What is the secret of the vast ruined city? The answers will lie in the dark and distant past of the Time Lords themselves…
- Newton Calder has been on Zayin Eight for 296 days by the time of Jo’s arrival.
- The Zayin system is located in the Argo Navis Cluster, 80 years from Earth.
Calder, Anyetta, Alein and Tomis are affiliated with the Space Archaeology Group (SAG). They are exploring the remnants of an ancient civilisation which were detected by a passing probe.
- Jo’s grandfather smoked a pipe. He often bought her ice cream behind her parents’ backs. He died in 1958 when his granddaughter was seven years old.
- After Jo wishes that they were present, apparitions of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and Sgt. Benton come to her aid.
- The DWM download was considered a promotion for the Big Finish line, so the file began with an introduction by Nicholas Briggs giving a brief history of the company’s audio releases.
- Part One of this story ends with a literal cliffhanger.
- This audio drama was recorded on 18 and 30 December 2008.
- Jo refers to her encounter with Mrs Killebrew. (The Doll of Death)
- Jo recalls meeting freedom fighters from the 22nd century, who were at first mistaken for ghosts, at Auderly House. (Day of the Daleks)
- The Doctor tells Jo that “sleep is for tortoises.” (The Talons of Weng Chiang)
- Jo suggests using the ghost machine to summon the spirit of Richard III of England to discover the fate of the princes in the
- Tower (The Kingmaker) or to learn who had really assassinated U.S. President John F. Kennedy on 22 November 1963. (Who Killed Kennedy, Rose)
- The Mists of Time was available to readers of Doctor Who Magazine who went to the Big Finish website and entered a code to be found within the magazine. The digital download offer was only available from 19 August to 14 October 2009.
- Big Finish subsequently reissued the story as part of the Companion Chronicles: The Specials, which was released in August 2011.