“Stay the hell out of my mind, “ hissed Forrester. “Just stay away from me.” She turned and stalked out of the room. Chris put his head in his hands.
The Earth colony on Yemaya 4 is a very ordinary place. The colonists spend their time farming, building homes, raising families.
But when The Doctor and his companions arrive they find a virus sweeping through the population, unleashing the colonists’ latent psychic powers. The Doctor and Chris fall prey to the infection, and discover telepathy is not the only symptom. Chris is unable to resist the call of an ancient place of sacrifice, while Roz and Benny travel back in time to the origin of the virus, and uncover a desperate bid for immortality.
And all the while The Doctor is playing a dangerous game with troopers of the Deditione-Kisumu company, who have come either to reclaim the stolen biotechnology — or to sterilise the planet.
- Sleepy is the forty-eighth novel in the Virgin New Adventures series. It featured the Seventh Doctor, Bernice Summerfield, Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester.
- The Doctor injects himself with infected blood in order to see what the colonists see.
- Chesinen refused her parents’ wishes to be circumcised.
- There is some Ikkaban poetry read throughout the novel (something about a turtle and death).
- The Doctor knows sign language.
- The HADS is once again functioning in the alternate universe TARDIS.
- The Exxilons first appeared in Death to the Daleks.
- The Doctorcan read a person’s dreams by touch, which he does again in The Girl in the Fireplace.