Ghosts of India
India in 1947 is a country in the grip of chaos – a country torn apart by internal strife. When The Doctor and Donna arrive in Calcutta, they are instantly swept up in violent events.
Barely escaping with their lives, they discover that the city is rife with tales of ‘half-made men’ who roam the streets at night and steal people away. These creatures, it is said, are as white as salt and have only shadows where their eyes should be. With help from India’s great spiritual leader, Mohandas ‘Mahatma’ Gandhi, The Doctor and Donna set out to investigate these rumours.
What is the real truth behind the ‘half-made men’? Why is Gandhi’s role in history under threat? And has an ancient, all-powerful god of destruction really come back to wreak his vengeance upon the Earth?
- Ghosts of India was the nineteenth Tenth Doctor novel released. It was the first to feature Donna Noble.
- During his fifth incarnation, The Doctor previously visited Calcutta on 31 December 1926 in the company of Nyssa, Tegan Jovanka and Turlough. (The Emerald Tiger)
- The Doctormentions having had a relationship with Cleopatra, confirming Mickey Smith’ssuspicionsto that effect. (The Girl in the Fireplace)
- The Doctor refers to his teaching days. (School Reunion, Human Nature/ The Family of Blood)
- Donna recalls the first time that she met The Doctor. (The Runaway Bride)