Council of War
John Levene (Sergeant Benton), Sinead Keenan (Margery Phipps)
At The Doctor’s request, Sergeant Benton is investigating ghosts and missing people in Kettering, while undercover as a local councillor
And that’s how he comes to meet Margery Phipps.
An alien incursion in the town hall leads them on a journey to a terrible future – where Margery discovers how she changed a world, and the life of a whole civilisation hangs in the balance…
- Council of War was the sixty-eighth release in the Companion Chronicles audio range
- Sgt. Benton’s dinner jacket is several sizes too big for him.
- Margery Phipps, a member of the Harmony Party, was the first woman to elected to the Kettering Town Council. She is a feminist, a vegetarian and an environmentalist.
- Margery describes Benton as handsome in a”mail order catalogue sort of way” and claims that he resembles James Bond, “not the new one, the one before him but without the Australian accent.”
- Benton mentions that Captain Mike Yates was brainwashed by BOSS in Llanfairfach, Wales and that Jo Grant has left UNIT to travel up the Amazon with Professor Clifford Jones. (The Green Death)
- Benton states that The Doctor does not believe in ghosts. (The TV Movie)
- Benton mentions that he hasn’t worn his dinner jacket since 1968, a reference to The Invasion, when he and Corporal Jack Tracy went undercover to locate the Second Doctor.
- Benton refers to fighting the Cybermen (The Invasion) and the Axons (The Claws of Axos).
- Benton tells Margery that time travellers from the future have been mistaken for ghosts before. (Day of the Daleks)
- This marks the first time that John Levene has played Sgt. Benton since Wartime in 1987.
- This audio drama was recorded on 10 August 2012.