The Return Of Doctor Mysterio
25 December 2016
Peter Capaldi (The Doctor)
Matt Lucas (Nardole), Justin Chatwin (Grant), Charity Wakefield (Lucy), Tomiwa Edun (Mr Brock), Aleksandar Jovanovic (Dr Sim), Logan Hoffman (Young Grant), Daniel Lorente (Teen Grant), Sandra Teles (Reporter), Tanroh Ishida (Operator), Vaughn Johseph (Soldier)
|Written by||Steven Moffat|
|Directed by||Ed Bazalgette|
|Produced by||Peter Bennett|
In an epic New York adventure, the Doctor and Nardole link up with a reporter and a masked superhero. Can the Doctor save Manhattan from aliens?
- The name Doctor Mysterio comes from the name in Mexico for Doctor Who, Doctor Misterio, which Steven Moffat and Peter Capaldi encountered when they visited there in the Doctor Who World Tour. Capaldi in particular fell in love with the name, so Moffat decided to use it in an episode title.
- This story marks the first time two full TV stories have been broadcast on Christmas Day.
- This story was the third Christmas special to star Peter Capaldi and the first not feature any Eleventh Doctor companion since The End Of Time.
- Matt Lucas is the first comedian to play a companion in a television story since James Corden as Craig Owens in Closing Time. The last comedian to play a full-time companion, though, was Catherine Tate as Donna Noble.
- Keoki’s "Pass It On" plays in the scene where the Doctor catches up with Grant in high school.
- This is the only TV story, alongside The Keeper of Traken, where the Doctor travels only with a male companion through the entire story.