Tom Baker (
Britain. The height of the Roman occupation. The Doctor has brought Leela to ancient Norfolk to learn about her ancestors… but has no idea how much of an education she is going to get.
Because this is the time of Boudica’s rebellion. When the tribe of the Iceni rises up and attempts to overthrow the Roman masters.
As Leela begins to be swayed by the warrior queen’s words, The Doctor has to make a decision: save his friend… or save history itself?
- The Wrath of the Iceni was the third story in the first series of the Fourth Doctor Adventures.
- The Doctor refers to Noël Coward, whom he describes as “a brave man who said all sorts of things that society did not want to hear.”
- The Doctor tells Leela that he hates Morris dancers almost as much as The Daleks and the Cybermen.
- Leela refers to the Roman legionaries as “men in skirts.”
- The Doctor recognises Boudica, the queen of the Iceni, due to her “very, very red hair.”
- Pacquolas taunts Leela by telling her that he has seen cats bigger than her slain in the Colosseum.
- Boudica inquires if The Doctor and Leela belong to the Catuvellauni tribe. Leela tells her that she is of the Sevateem, whom The Doctor claims are located”as far north as you can go and then some.”
- There are approximately 900 people in the Iceni tribe.
- The Iceni’s camp in Norfolk is one day’s ride from Camulodunum, the capital of Roman Britain which was formally the capital of the Trinovantes, a tribe which is allied with the Iceni. It is a retirement home for former soldiers, their wives and their children.
- Bragnar is a cook who did not support the war against the Romans. She claims that she would be rather mate with a Roman than Caedmon.
- The Doctor tells Leela that the Romans conquered Britain in 43, approximately seventeen years before Boudica’s rebellion, after several unsuccessful attempts. Her husband Prasutagus, the previous rulerof the Iceni, was one of several tribal rulers in Britain who were bought off by the invading Romans. After his death, he left half of his kingdom to the Roman Emperor Nero and the other half to his daughters. However, the Emperor annexed the entire kingdom. When Boudica objected, she was flogged and her daughters were raped in public.
- In order to prevent Boudica from severing The Doctor’s head, Leela tells her that The Doctor is a prophet who foresaw her defeat at the hands of the Romans.