“We believe that death should always be part of life.”
The Doctor’s last three visits to the scattered human colonies of the third millennium have not been entirely successful. And now that Ace has rejoined him and Bernice, life on board the TARDIS is getting pretty stressful. The Doctor yearns for a simpler time and place: Earth, the tropics, the early twentieth century.
The TARDIS lands in Haiti in the early years of the First World War. and The Doctor, Bernice and Ace land in a murderous plot involving vodoun, violent death, zombies and German spies. And perhaps something else — something far, far worse.
- White Darkness is the fifteenth New Adventure novel published by Virgin Publishing in the 1990s. The story is set in Haiti in 1915. It features the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Bernice Summerfield.
- Prelude White Darkness was published in DWM 201.
- This is the first novel to feature The Doctor wearing his new white linen suit, as seen on the cover.
- The brooch The Doctor wears on his suit was given to his first incarnation by Cameca, his accidental fiancéee from the past, in The Aztecs.
- There are James Bond references, including Q Branch and Dr. No.
- Given the Lovecraftian flavour of the story, the presence of a character called”Howard Phillips” is a homage to Howard Phillips Lovecraft himself.
- The Doctor is compared to “our man in Havana” because of his linen suit, which makes its debut in this story.