War of the Daleks
The Doctor is repairing the TARDIS systems once again when it is swept up by a garbage ship roving through space, the Quetzel.
When another ship approaches and takes the Quetzel by force, The Doctor discovers that he and Sam are not the only unwitting travellers on board – there is a strangely familiar survival pod in the hold. Delani, the captain of the second ship, orders the pod to be opened. The Doctor is powerless to intervene as Davros is awakened once again.
But this is no out-and-out rescue of Davros. Delani and his crew are Thals, the sworn enemies of the Daleks. They intend to use Davros as a means to wipe out the Daleks, finally ridding the universe of the most aggressive, deadly race ever to exist. But The Doctor is still worried. For there is a signal beacon inside the pod, and even now a Dalek ship is closing in…
- War of the Daleks is the fifth BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures novel featuring The Doctor and Samantha Jones. It was written by John Peel. It features the Daleks, Davros and several Thals. This novel is also notable for significantly attempting to retroactively rewrite every televised Dalek story from Destiny of the Daleks onwards. It also features a reference to every single story featuring the Daleks from The Daleks through to Remembrance of the Daleks.
- Skaro means “home” in the original Kaled language.
- Davros still has Dalek supporters on Skaro.
- Davros used the Hand of Omega, which destroyed what he thought of as Skaro.
- The Doctor has another sonic screwdriver, which he uses to kill the Daleks with high frequency shock waves.
- The Doctor’s jacket came from a costume shop in San Francisco.
- Mechanoidshave fought the Daleks on more than one occasion.
- A Slyther makes a brief appearance (during an interlude).
- Some Draconians make an appearance (also during an interlude). They die.
- On page 187 The Doctor comments, “I was starting to get worried that you’d discovered religion.”, which actually happens in The Parting of the Ways.
- The Doctor basically retells the events of The Daleks, Genesis of the Daleks and Remembrance of the Daleks to Sam, Chayn and the others.
- The Dalek factory ship is suggested to be the factory ship in The Power of the Daleks.