The Wages of Sin
The Doctor has always been wary of meddling with established history. But what happens when the history books lie?
With the secrets of time-travel restored to him after his long exile on Earth, The Doctor decides to test out the TARDIS with a trip into the past. Accompanying him are his assistant, Jo, and an old friend, scientist Liz Shaw. Soon after landing, the travellers realise they have landed at one of the most significant periods of Earth’s history – and one of the most dangerous…
It is Russia, 1916, and Europe is in the grip of the Great War. With the TARDIS confiscated by Imperial guards, its crew find themselves trapped in a country on the brink of revolution.
The Doctor and Liz are soon caught up in the deadly machinations of Tsar Nicholas’ court, while Jo appears to fall under the sinister spell of the infamous Mad Monk, Rasputin…
- The Wages of Sin was the nineteenth BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It featured the Third Doctor, Jo Grant and Liz Shaw. This novel features Liz Shaw’s first journey in the TARDIS and is set after Liz had departed from UNIT and following The Doctor’s exile on Earth(after The Three Doctors).
- This is The Doctor’s first test-flight since regaining his time travel knowledge.
- Johas seen a film about Rasputin and is aware of the Boney M song about him.
- Liz Shaw drinks several alcoholic drinks whilst in Russia.
- Jotells Liz that she failed General Science at “O” level. (Terror of the Autons)
- Jo recalls being hypnotised by The Master (Terror of the Autons) and the 22nd century Dalek invasion of Earth in an alternative timeline. (Day of the Daleks)