Jenna Redgrave (Kate Stewart) Ingrid Oliver (Osgood), Warren Brown (Lieutenant Sam Bishop), Ramon Tikaram (Colonel Shindi), James Joyce (Captain Josh Carter), Steve John Shepard (Simon Devlin), Karina Fernandez (Jenna Gold), Tracey Wiles (Jacqui McGee), Derek Carlyle (Tim Stevens) and Nicholas Briggs (The Nestene Consiousness).
In this four-story box set,
1.1 Vanguard by Matt Fitton
From a state-of-the-art bunker beneath the Tower of London, Kate Stewart leads a secret army protecting the Earth from extraterrestrial threat. Crashed UFOs, strange meteors, a giant lizard in the Severn – all business as usual for UNIT.
While Scientific Advisor Osgood attends a ‘skyfall’ incident with Colonel Shindi and Captain Josh Carter, Kate’s duties take her to visit Devlin Future Tech, and reclusive billionaire Simon Devlin.
Journalist Jackie McGee is also on FutureTech’s case, and nothing’s going to get in the way of her story: a product launch that will change the world…
1.2 Earthfall by Andrew Smith
Lieutenant Sam Bishop is finishing an assignment in Bangkok when he receives a call from Kate Stewart. She has a new job for him – hunt for a stray Nestene energy unit that has come down somewhere in the Gobi desert.
In Mongolia, Sam is joined by Osgood and They set off into the Gobi. But there are Autons in this desert. They are also looking for the energy unit, and They’re ready to kill anyone who comes into contact with it.
Back in London, Kate is becoming suspicious of Simon Devlin’s company, and decides to pay him a visit.
1.3 Bridgehead by Andrew Smith
With Nestene energy units falling from the skies around the globe, UNIT’s resources are stretched to breaking point as they try to respond.
Josh Carter has gone undercover inside Devlin FutureTech. His safety is jeopardised, however, by the activities of investigative journalist Jacqui McGee.
As the Nestenes progress their plans, Kate becomes a target.
1.4 Armageddon by Matt Fitton
As Autons swarm across the planet, the human race faces its darkest hour. Simon Devlin has helped his alien masters gain a global foothold and their scheme is almost complete.
As UNIT leads the fightback on every front, every continent, against an implacable army, Kate Stewart must look to the past for some clue to defeat The plastic menace.
The Nestene Consciousness is growing in power. It has plans for the human race, and when it achieves its ultimate form, it will be unstoppable. Only UNIT stands between humanity and total extinction…
Written By: Andrew Smith, Matt Fitton
Directed By: Ken Bentley
- Big Finish is delighted to announce that Kate Stewart and her UNIT team from The Doctor Who TV series will be starring in a brand new series of audio dramas, in a licensing deal with BBC Worldwide.Kate is the daughter of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, and Head of Scientific Research at the Unified Intelligence Taskforce, which investigates and confronts alien attacks on the planet Earth. The role is portrayed by Jemma Redgrave (Dracula, Frankie, Cold Blood) who has appeared opposite Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi on television, and returns for the audio series.”We’re thrilled that Jemma is on board for our brand new UNIT adventures,” says series producer David Richardson, “and we feel privileged to work within the universe of New Series Doctor Who for the first time. UNIT: Extinction will showcase all the excitement, drama and wit that viewers of Doctor Who love.
- “Having worked with the greatly missed Nicholas Courtney and his magnificent portrayal of the Brigadier since the early days of Big Finish, it is wonderful to see the return of UNIT under the Brig’s daughter,” says executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery. “We are all very excited about bringing UNIT back to Big Finish with the next generation and look forward immensely to working with Jemma again, who appears in this month’s Doctor Who main range release Doctor Who – Mistfall.”
- “I’m really excited to hear Jemma and her team battling to save the Earth,” says executive producer Nick Briggs. “They’ve been such an important part of the many exciting things to come out of The Doctor Who TV series in recent years.”
- Once again joining Kate’s side will be the immensely popular UNIT scientist Osgood, played by Ingrid Oliver. Both Jemma and Ingrid will be returning to The Doctor Who TV series for its upcoming ninth season in the Autumn.
- “We’re so happy to have Kate and Osgood joining us at Big Finish,” says producer David Richardson. “This team has been so captivating to watch on TV, and we’re looking forward to throwing some deadly challenges in their paths in these kinetic new episodes.”
- Also confirmed for the audio series is a new character Lieutenant Sam Bishop, an international trouble-shooter for UNIT who is sent to the world’s most dangerous hotspots. Playing this action role is Warren Brown, whose many leading TV roles include the BBC dramas Luther, By Any Means and Good Cop. Warren can soon be seen in the feature film Captain Webb, and a new drama series X Company.
- “We’ve worked with Warren several times before,” says David, “and even though he’s one of the busiest leading men around, he’s said he’ll be there for Big Finish. So we’ve created a principle role in UNIT especially for him, and he’ll be an essential member of the global team.”
- The ensemble is also enhanced with the casting of Ramon Tikaram as Colonel Shindi. Ramon is well known from many recent TV series including Stella, Fortitude and Happy Valley, and films including Jupiter Ascending and Dragonfly.
- “Ramon also is busy on so many great things, but we’ve tempted him to the ranks of UNIT! He’s a lovely man to have around, and an extraordinary actor.”
- Finally, the role of loose canon UNIT officer Josh Carter is played by James Joyce, who has appeared in many Big Finish productions including Charlotte Pollard, as well as TV shows such as Downton Abbey, The Musketeers and Holby City.“James has done so much brilliant audio work for us, he’s earned his place in UNIT!” says David.
- In UNIT: Extinction, Kate and her team confront an alien invasion by the Nestene Consciousness and its army of plastic Autons. You can find out more details at the link below; and all pre-orders also come with a downloadable copy of The Nicholas Courtney Memoirs: A Solider In Time:
- UNIT: Extinction will be released in Nuovember 2015, and is available for specially-priced pre-order, with all pre-orders getting a copy of Nicholas Courtney’s memoirs A Soldier in Time as a free download as Supplementary content in Big Finish accounts.
- Three additional box sets will be available at six monthly intervals, with all four available for a Bundled pre-order. For many more details, watch this space in coming months.