Sympathy for the Devil
David Warner (the Doctor), Nicholas Courtney (Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), David Tennant (Colonel Brimmicombe-Wood), Mark Gatiss (The Master (Ke Le), Liz Sutherland (Ling/Girl in Street/Pub Customer), Trevor Littledale (The Abbot), Mark Wright (Marcus/Private Jacobs), Peter Griffiths (Captain Zerdin), Stuart Piper (Adam), Jonathan Clements (Bouncer/Chinese Pilot/Monk/Tannoy Voice/Bomb Control), Gary Russell (Newsreader), John Ainsworth (Pub Customer)
the Doctor had not been UNIT’s scientific advisor?
1997… and a lone exile arrives on Earth, years later than planned.
On the eve of the Handover, an advanced Chinese stealth bomber crashes in the hills above Hong Kong. The discredited UNIT has just 24 hours to steal the technology, rescue the passenger and flee to international waters.
Down by the harbour, there’s big trouble in Little England – a bar owned by an old soldier, who simply wants to forget the past. But an ancient evil is stirring in a place of peace.
The Doctor finds a world on the brink of terror. A world that has lived without him for years. A world that is frighteningly like our own…
- Sympathy for the Devil was the second Doctor Who Unbound audio story produced by Big Finish Productions
- The Doctor says he can speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Manchu, Mongolian and Haikun.
- To the Chinese, he is known as Hu: the Tiger, for his courage; Hu: the Fox, for his cunning and Xue: Doctor (he who tends to the sick). The last is his personal favourite.
- Allusions are made to an alternate Invasion of the Dinosaurs, this time run by “the lizards” (Silurians). UNIT prevented it from ever happening by sending Mike Yates on a suicide mission with nuclear warheads (killing the Silurians before they ever work up), but there’s now a crater in the middle of London, where a lake has formed.
- “Terror of the Autons” was stopped but with UNIT disgraced: Daily Mail ran a headline of “Barmy Brig in Fake Flower Fiasco.
- The Brigadier ordered the saturation bombing of Surrey.
- The Mars Probe 7 affair ended with a “line of mile-wide craters across America”.
- Stahlman Gas is a hot stock market option.
- The Master briefly worked as a United Nations advisor before defecting to China.
- This is the first on audio regeneration.
- Liz being from Slough but mistaken for a Hong Kong local (twice) is loosely based on a real incident Clements saw. The real girls were from Colchester but Clements thought Slough sounded funnier.
- This story marks the first appearance of the mind parasites from The Mind of Evil in an audio drama.