“Children make better soldiers,” said the teddy bear. “They kill without compunction.”
The Doctor and Benny are following a trail of kidnapped children across Europe, a continent recovering from the ravages of the First World War. The only clue they find is the toy bear each missing child was given. But someone is aware of their search, and they soon find themselves unwilling guests on the planet Q’ell, where a similar war still rages – and has done for fourteen hundred years.
Stranded on Earth, Chris Cwej and Roslyn Forrester struggle to find a way of stopping the Q’ell from recruiting every child in the world to their cause. And the Doctor tries to start a peaceful revolution on a planet where there is no longer any word for peace.
- Toy Soldiers is the forty-second Virgin New Adventures novel. It featured the Seventh Doctor, Bernice Summerfield, Roz Forrester and Chris Cwej.
- The 1,400 year long Q’ell war ultimately killed 2,846,014,032 people.
- This novel had a working title of Toy Solstice.
- The Doctor’s eyes are blue-grey.
- The Doctor falters when he realises he must kill five million children to save the Earth. The Recruiter stops in time, obviating the need to do so.