|Publication Date||18 May 1978|
The Cybermen – silver, indestructible monsters whose only goal is power – seem to have disappeared from their planet, Telos. When a party of archaeologists, joined by The Doctor, Jamie, and Victoria, land on the Cybermen barren, deserted planet, they uncover what appears to be their tomb.
But once inside it becomes clear that the Cybermen are not dead, and some in the group of archaeologists desperately want to re-activate these monsters! How can The Doctor defeat these ruthless, power-seeking humans and the Cybermen?
1992 Target Books edition
THE CYBERMAN WENT ON RAISING HIS GUN, SLOWLY, SLOWLY…
The Cybermen – indestructible, unfeeling monsters whose only goal is power – have now disappeared from the planet Telos, and when a group of archaeologists, accompanied by The Doctor and his companions, land on the barren, deserted world, they discover what appears to be their tomb.
But once inside, it becomes clear that the Cybermen are not dead, and some of the scientists are intent on re-activating the monsters. How can The Doctor prevent these ruthless humans from awakening the Cybermen?
The Tomb of the Cybermen was first broadcast in 1967 and was thought lost forever until it was rediscovered in 1992 and released on video. Gerry Davis’s novelisation is based on the original story he wrote with Kit Pedler.
- Victoria and Jamie
- An Expedition into Space
- The Entrance to the Tombs
- Cyberman Control Room
- The Recharging Room
- The Target Room
- The Finding of the Cybermat
- The Secret of the Hatch
- The Cyber Controller
- Release the Cybermats
- The Controller is Revitalised
- Toberman Returns
- Closing the Tombs
DEVIATIONS FROM THE TELEVISED STORY
- The narration sometimes refers to The Doctor as “Doctor Who”.
- The introduction provides a brief synopsis of the birth of the Cybermen and the events of The Tenth Planet and The Moonbase. However, the introduction also states that the homeworld of the Cybermen was always Telos, not Mondas.
- Toberman is described as either Turkish or Middle Eastern.
- The main chamberof the tomb is lined with ornate bas-reliefs of the history of the Cybermen, from their creation to the destruction of Mondas.
- The Cyber Controller is described as having a black helmet, like the Cyber-Leaders seen later in the series.
- There are five lieutenant Cybermen to the The Cyber Controller.
- Klieg states he is President of the Brotherhood of Logicians, rather than being just a major member of the Brotherhood.
- The Earth expedition ship is named the Orbiter.
- The Cybermats are described as Scorpions.