Time and the Rani DVD
Number of DVDs: 1
DVD Number: BBCDVD2808
Duration: 98 minutes
Violently wrenched out of time, the TARDIS is brought crashing down onto the planet Lakertya by the villainous Rani. Caught within the maelstrom, The Doctor is forced to regenerate… Imprisoning The Doctor in her stronghold, The Rani seizes upon his vulnerable state. By impersonating his friend Mel, The Rani deceives the unwitting Doctor into helping her achieve her audacious plan. Just what is she up to? Why has she enslaved Albert Einstein and a host of geniuses? And as an asteroid composed of Strange Matter approaches Lakertya, can a weakened Doctor save the universe when he has little idea of who he really is?
- Commentary by Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford, writers Pip and Jane Baker.
- The Last Chance Saloon by 1987, senior executives at the BBC were on the point of killing- off Doctor Who in the face of stiff fan opposition. Instead, they decided to give the show one last chanceâ With actors Sylvester McCoy and Kate O’Mara, producer John Nathan-Turner, director Andrew Morgan, script or Andrew Cartmel, writers Pip and Jane Baker, BBC Head of Series & Serials Jonathan Powell and graphic designer Oliver Elmes. Written by Nev Fountain and narrated by Richard Heffer.
- 7D FX a look behind-the-scenes at the creation of the story’s impressive visual effects. With visual effects designer Colin Mapson, visual effects assistant Mike Tucker and video effects designer Dave Chapman.
- Helter-Skelter Graphic designer Oliver Elmes and animator Gareth Edwards talk about how they created the first CGI title sequence in Doctor Who’s history.
- Lakertya writers Pip and Jane Baker talk about theiroriginal vision for the lush forest planet Lakertya and director Andrew Morgan explains why he ended up shooting it in a desolate quarry insteadâ
- Hot Gossip Kate O’Mara recalls the fun of working with gossiping friends. With Sylvester McCoy and Andrew Morgan.
- On Location BBC Breakfast Time’s reporter Guy Michelmore visits the production during location filming for the story’s exterior scenes and talks to John Nathan-Turner, Sylvester McCoy, Bonnie Langford and Kate O’Mara.
- Trails and Continuity – BBC1 trails and continuity announcements from the story’s original transmission.
- Photo Gallery