Time and the Rani DVD
Number of DVDs 1
DVD Number BBCDVD2808
Duration 100 minutes
After being attacked by the Rani, the TARDIS crash-lands on the planet Lakertya. On the floor of the console room, the Doctor begins his sixth regenerationâ€¦
In his post-regenerative confusion the Doctor is separated from his young companion Mel and tricked into assisting the Rani in her megalomaniac scheme to construct a giant time manipulator.
Lost on the barren surface of the planet, Mel has to avoid the Rani’s ingenious traps and her monstrous, bat-like servants, the Tetraps. She joins forces with a rebel faction among the Lakertyans, desperate to end the Rani’s control of their planet.
The Doctor must recover his wits in time to avoid becoming a permanent part of the Rani’s plan to collect the genius of the greatest scientific minds in the Universe
- Commentary by Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford, writers Pip and Jane Baker.
- The Last Chance Saloon by 1987, senior executives At The BBC were on the point of killing-off Doctor Who in the face of stiff fan opposition. Instead, they decided to give the show one last chanceâ€¦ With actors Sylvester McCoy and Kate O’Mara, producer John Nathan-Turner, director Andrew Morgan, script editor Andrew Cartmel, writers Pip and Jane Baker, BBC Head of Series & Serials Jonathan Powell and graphic designer Oliver Elmes. Written by Nev Fountain and narrated by Richard Heffer.
- 7D FX a look behind-the-scenes At The creation of the story’s impressive visual effects. With visual effects designer Colin Mapson, visual effects assistant Mike Tucker and video effects designer Dave Chapman.
- Helter-Skelter Graphic designer Oliver Elmes and animator Gareth Edwards talk about how they created the first CGI title sequence in Doctor Who’s history.
- Lakertya writers Pip and Jane Baker talk about their original vision for the lush forest planet Lakertya and director Andrew Morgan explains why he ended up shooting it in a desolate quarry insteadâ€¦
- Hot Gossip Kate O’Mara recalls the fun of working with gossiping friends. With Sylvester McCoy and Andrew Morgan.
- On Location BBC Breakfast Time’s reporter Guy Michelmore visits the production during location filming for the story’s exterior scenes and talks to John Nathan-Turner, Sylvester McCoy, Bonnie Langford and Kate O’Mara.
- Trails and Continuity – BBC1 trails and continuity announcements from the story’s original transmission.
- Photo Gallery