The Time Machine
23 November 2013. In an Oxford laboratory, graduate Alice Watson helps Professor Chivers assemble the final pieces of an impossible machine. A time machine.
The scientist and his assistant believe they are making history, little suspecting that the project’s completion will threaten the existence of the entire universe. But someone has sensed the danger, and when the mysterious Doctor arrives, Alice is taken on a desperate race from libraries and dreaming spires all the way to the nightmare world of Earth’s future.
The monstrous Creevix are coming. They seek control of time itself and are certain that The Doctor is already too late to stop them. But can the key to saving the future lie in the Time Lord’s past lives?
- The Time Machine was the eleventh and final release of the Destiny of the Doctor audio series
- Originally scheduled for release on CD in early November 2013, the release was put on hold due to publisher AudioGo going into administration in October 2013. A download copy of the story was released by audiobook sites Audible and iTunes, and later by Big Finish Productions. On 18 November, Big Finish announced that it would be releasing the CD version as well. The packaging for the Big Finish release omits any mention of AudioGO, though a cr for the company is still read by Coleman.
- Unusually, despite it being read by Jenna Coleman, the character of Clara does not appear, her place taken by one-off companion Alice Watson (also performed by Coleman).
- This story was recorded on 14 June 2013.
- The Doctor tells Cedric that he doesn’t know where he is going, meaning The Doctor has not yet visited Trenzalore.(The Name of the Doctor) Whether he is at a point before he meets Clara Oswald (The Bells of St John) or in between any of his adventures with her is unknown.