Number of DVDs 2
DVD Number BBCDVD1834
Duration 75 minutes
The Doctor takes Ace back home to Perivale so she can catch up with her old friends. But Perivale has changed, the old gang has split up, and some Of them have vanished without trace. They are not the only ones – West London is plagued by unexplained disappearances.
Before long the mysterious kidnappers make themselves known. A race of galactic hunters called the Cheetah people have found a way to transport themselves to Earth – and the entire human race is their prey. They have been shown the doorway to the planet by an old foe of the Doctor, a bitter and desperate enemy who needs the Doctor’s help to free him from a diabolic enchantment.
As the Doctor tries to unravel the mystery, Ace finds some of her old friends, trapped on the savage and beautiful world of the Cheetah People. But the only way she can lead them to safety is to allow herself to succumb, like so many before her, to the curse of the planet. The Doctor realises that Ace’s new powers will provide the only route home, but it will mean the sacrifice of her humanity to the most bestial and dark side of human nature..
- Episodes presented with original stereo audio, plus new 5.1 surround sound mix by Mark Ayres
- Main commentary by Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and script-editor Andrew Cartmel.
- Second commentary (episode three only). Fan commentary from the winners of a recent Doctor Who Magazine competition.
- ‘Cat Flap’ – a two-part documentary covering the making of Survival. Part One covers set-up and pre-production, Part Two covers shooting and post-production. With Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Lisa Bowerman, Will Barton, Sakuntala Ramanee andAdele Silva, script editor Andrew Cartmel, director Alan Wareing, visual effects assistant Mike Tucker, composer Dominic Glynn and costume designer Ken Trew. Narrated by Paul Ewing.
- Deleted and Extended Scenes – material from the first edit of the story that didn’t make the final cut, plus comparisons of some of the scenes before and after the video effects were added.
- Out-takes and comedy moments from the production of the story.
- Continuities and trailers from the original BBC1 transmission.
- Photo Gallery – production and behind-the-scenes stills from the making of the story.
- Isolated Score – option to view the story with synchronous isolated music.
- Radio Times listings in Adobe pdf format for viewing on PC or Mac.
- Programme subtitles and subtitle production notes.
- ‘Endgame’ – Why was Doctor Who cancelled At The end of Season 26? What might have been in store for the Doctor and Ace if the series had continued into Season 27? With Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, script editor Andrew Cartmel, writers Ben
- Aaronovitch and Colin Brake, BBC Head of Drama Series Peter Cregeen, composer Mark Ayres and visual effects designer Mike Tucker. Narrated by Paul Ewing.
- ‘Search Out Science’ – a schools programme featuring the Doctor and Ace, with Stephen Johnson and K9.
- ‘Little Girl Lost’ – A retrospective look At The development of Sophie Aldred’s character, Ace, from her first story, Dragonfire through to her last, Survival.With Sophie Aldred, creator Ian Briggs and script editor Andrew Cartmel.
- ‘Destiny of the Doctors’ – Anthony Ainley’s last appearance as The Master, in these links from the 1997 computer game