The Stone Rose
David Tennant reads this absorbing story of a missing boy, a clairvoyant girl and a strange stone effigy
Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum – a statue that is 2, 000 years old. The Tenth Doctor realises that this means the TARDIS will shortly take them to Ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than sculpture.
While The Doctor searches for a missing boy, Rose befriends a girl who claims to know the future – a girl whose predictions are surprisingly accurate.
But then The Doctor stumbles on the hideous truth behind the statue of Rose – and Rose herself learns that you have to be very careful what you wish for…
Read by the Tenth Doctor himself, this thrilling adventure features Doctor Who and his companion Rose Tyler, as played by David Tennant and Billie Piper in the acclaimed hit series from BBC Television.
Also included is an exclusive bonus interview with the author, Jacqueline Rayner, compiled by David Darlington of Doctor Who Magazine.
- The Stone Rose was the seventh book of the BBC New Series Adventures range, this is an audio reading of it.
- The Doctor keeps a set of Winnie the Pooh bed linens in the TARDIS.
- The Doctor mentions the Moomins, Chorlton and the Wheelies and SpongeBob SquarePants when talking about how stories are based on disappearing time trails.
- The very complicated formula to turn people back from stone which had never been thought up by anybody is an example of a bootstrap paradox.
- Ringo was arrested for stealing a horse.
- This is the first Tenth Doctor novel.
- Later reprints of this book removed the image of Billie Piper from the cover, presumably due to use-of-likeness issues after she had left the programme. The 2015 reprint in The History Collection features an introduction from Rayner.
- This story was also released as an ebook available from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The Doctor asks Rose if she ever nearly married someone she shouldn’t have. This could be a reference to Rose’s marriage to Tillun in Only Human, a reference to Rose’s engagement to former boyfriend Jimmy Stone (although this occurred before Rose first met The Doctor), and/or a reference to The Doctor’s own weddings that he was rubbish at. (Blink)
- Jackie mentions The Doctor’s new face. (The Christmas Invasion)
Rose thinks to herself that in 200, 000 years she will be on a game station above Earth fighting Daleks, (The Parting of the Ways) and will watch it get eventually destroyed by the sun. (The End of the World)
- Vanessa claims that she tried to warn people of the destruction of Pompeii, not knowing that it had already happened in August 79. During his seventh incarnation, The Doctor visited Pompeii at this time on two occasions. (The Fires of Vulcan; The Algebra of Ice) Later in his tenth incarnation, The Doctor himself triggered the eruption of Vesuvius in order to kill the Pyrovile. (The Fires of Pompeii)
- The Doctor claims that he has never met Michelangelo. However, he encountered him in Rome in 1511 during his fifth incarnation. (Fallen Angels)
listen to a sample