“The Sontarans can never defeat us. It is we who will win.”
For thousands of years the Sontaran clone-warriors and the Rutan gestalt have fought each other across the galaxy. Now the Sontarans have a plan to strike at the heart of the Rutan Empire, and utterly defeat The Rutan race.
The Doctor has his suspicions, but only one Rutan spy knows the Sontarans’ secret. He is being pursued from planet to planet by Chris and Roz and by a Sontaran hit squad. After a confrontation aboard the racing space-yacht Tiger Moth, the chase culminates on the library planet Sentarion – where Professor Bernice Summerfield’s researches into the history of the Sontaran/Rutan war turn into explosive reality.
- Shakedown is the forty-fifth Virgin New Adventures novel. It features the Seventh Doctor, Bernice Summerfield, Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester. This is the first novel to be a partial novelisation of a spin-off video drama, Shakedown: Return of the Sontarans,
- The Doctor holds a Master of Arts with the University of Antares.
- Bernice has begun to see evidence of the Doctor’s habit of getting into so much trouble that people can’t kill them (she can’t be killed in the sacred precinct. Nor can she leave the sacred precinct. It’s the law).
- The Sontaran Military Code requires the death penalty for every infraction.
- The Great Mother is the repository of the Rutan gestalt intelligence.
- The Time Lords seem to support the Rutans in their war with the Sontarans.
- The Doctor is forgiven by the Rutans for killing one of them on Fang Rock. (Horror of Fang Rock)