Dead. He was dead. How the hell was she supposed to do CPR on a man with two hearts?
There’s a rip in the fabric of space and time. Passenger ships are disappearing from the interstellar traffic lanes. In an attempt to find out who’s behind the disappearances, the Doctor and Ace allow themselves to be captured. But when Bernice‘s rescue attempt goes terribly wrong, the time travellers find themselves scattered throughout history.
Ace, stranded in Ancient Egypt, struggles to survive in an environment as alien as a distant planet: the Earth 3,000 years before she was born. She manages to find employment as a nobleman’s bodyguard. And then she comes face to face with the metal horrors which have pursued her through time — the creatures she saw kill the Doctor.
- Set Piece is the thirty-fifth New Adventures novel. It features the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Bernice Summerfield.
- Sophie Aldred wrote the afterword for this novel.
- A prelude to this novel appeared in DWM 222.
- The working title for this novel was Butterfly Wings.
- The Doctor states that several months passed between repairing the TARDIS with protoplasm (Cat’s Cradle: Witch Mark) and riding himself of the infection because of it. (Deceit)
- Since joining the Doctor at 16, this story establishes that Ace spent seven years in the TARDIS, separate from her three years in Spacefleet, and leaves at 26.