Number of DVDs: 7
DVD Number: BBCDVD2806
Duration: 340 minutes
Three DVDs with new content and documentaries –
Previous releases had not so many features due to demand re issued in new packaging and 2 disc or 3 sets.
The Talons of Weng Chaing Special Edition
In this feature-length adventure set deep in the darkest heart of Victorian London, The Doctor and Leela are confronted by a series of bizarre and horrific events. An innocent cabbie is viciously slain by the agents of a secret Chinese cult; young women disappear quietly and suddenly; in the depths below, the rankest sewers are infested by giant, deadly abominations. The Doctor, helped only by the local pathologist Professor Litefoot and the cowardly Henry Jago, finds himself battling for his life against the hideously deformed Magnus Greel, who pretends to be the ancient Chinese God, Weng-Chiang. But Greel is not the only menace; The Doctor must also deal with the illusionist Li H’sen Chang and the murderous dwarf Mr Sin before Leela falls prey to the Talons of Weng-Chiang.
The Caves of Androzani Special Edition
Arriving on the barren world of Androzani, The Doctor and Peri find themselves embroiled in a long-running underground war. Military troops mount an armed blockade whilst gunrunners bring in weapons for the sinister, masked renegade, Sharaz Jek. Meanwhile, lethal androids guard the caves, a deadly creature lurks in the shadows, killing all in its path. At the heart of the conflict is a substance called Spectrox — the most valuable item in the universe… and the deadliest! The very presence of The Doctor and Peri on Androzani sets in motion a chain of events that will have dramatic consequences for everyone involved. As the situation gets even more desperate, The Doctor realises time is running out – both for Peri and himself. Will The Doctor make the ultimate sacrifice to save his young friends life..?
The TV Movie Special Edition
New Years Eve 1999. Earth is about to run out of time… Returning home to Gallifrey with the remains of his arch enemy, The Master, the TARDIS is forced off course, returning The Doctor into the middle of a street gang’s gun battle in downtown San Francisco. Critically wounded in the shoot out, The Doctor has to regenerate to save his own life. And he’s not the only one – The Master too has a new body with which to wreak havoc, and his ultimate goal is to take The Doctor’s own existence. As the clock counts down to the start of a new millennium, The Doctor has to stop The Master destroying all life on Earth. But at what cost…?
The Talons of Weng Chaing Special Edition – 3 discs
- ‘The Last Hurrah’ a new documentary where producer Philip Hinchliffe visits Tom Baker at his home to discuss their final story together
- ‘Moving On’ where Hinchliffe talks about what he envisaged for the series had he stayed as producer
- ‘The Foe from the Future‘ a look at the original story which eventually became The Talons of Weng Chiang
- Now and Then, a tour of the locations used in the story
- Look East with Tom Baker interviewed.
- Whose Doctor Who, presented by Melvyn Bragg – As included on the original release
The Caves of Androzani Special Edition – 2 discs
- ‘Chain Reaction’ a look back at the making of the story
- Directing Who: Then and Now – Graeme Harper talks about the changes in Production since he made this story
- Archive footage from The Russell Harty Show featuring an interview with Peter Davison and Colin Baker.
The TV Movie Special Edition – 2 discs
- A new commentary featuring Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann
- ‘The Seven Year Hitch’ looking at the seven year quest to get this story made
- ‘The Wilderness Years’ looking at how the show was kept alive during the hiatus between the end of Series 26 and the Movie
- Who Peter 1989-2009, the final part of the documentary looking at the special link between the two programmes Doctor Who and Blue Peter
- Stripped for Action, the eighth Doctor in Comic Strip
- Tomorrows Times, how the short reign of the Doctor was reported by the press at the time.