Return to the Web Planet
“It’s an ancient name. From the dark time…”
It’s been hundreds of years and several regenerations since the Doctor last visited the insect world of Vortis. Much has changed during his absence, but not necessarily for the better.
This now green and pleasant land isn’t the paradise it first appears. Something malevolent is living out in The Desolation… And the Doctor and Nyssa must solve the mystery before the City of Light is overrun.
- Return to the Web Planet was the fifth subscriber-exclusive release by Big Finish, though its spine states it is the sixth (in Roman numerals VI). This is the first audio to feature the Zarbi and the Menoptera and a return to Vortis.
- The Doctor tells Nyssa that he could imagine relaxing on Vortis but he has never had the opportunity to do so.
- The Doctor tells Nyssa that Pictos and Vortis’ other moons are not native to its star system and arrived in a very particular order. He implies that he was present for their arrival.
- Acheron is the father of Hedyla.
- Nyssa tells Hedyla that “blundering into things is what the Doctor does for a living.”
- This was a special release given away to Big Finish subscribers who had The Girl Who Never Was as part of their subscription.
- This story is unusual in that it does not feature the TARDIS.
- Nyssa tells the Doctor that Vortis’ trees remind her of the forests on Traken. (The Keeper of Traken)
- Acheron refers to the end of the Animus’ control over the Menoptera and the Zarbi and the temporary migration to Pictos. (The Web Planet)
- The Doctor’s Zarbi steed is named “Arbara,” possibly after Barbara. (The Web Planet)