Colin Baker (the Doctor), Nicola Bryant (Peri), Claudia Christian (Janine Foster), Stuart Milligan (Anthony Chambers), Jane Perry (Kathy Chambers), Jeremy Lindsay-Taylor (Nate Chambers), Vincent Pirillo (Daniel Woods), John Schwab (Lt. Doyle), Denise Bryer (Mrs Van Gysegham), Allison Karaynes (Natalie Hamilton), Nicholas Briggs (Cybermen)
On the morning of 9 May 1984, Peri woke up. She was expecting to spend the day relaxing in Lanzarote and, that evening, leave her mother and stepfather to go travelling with some guys she’d only just met.
But things don’t always go as expected as her friends and family discover when, four months later, she returns home having travelled further than anyone could have imagined.
Meanwhile her friend, Katherine Chambers, mourns her father and Peri finds herself meeting some other familiar faces.
- The Reaping was the eighty-seventh monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. It also began a loose trilogy featuring a time-travelling band of Mondasian Cybermen from the future (relative to 1984) with some commonality with the Cybus Industries Cybermen which had recently been featured in Rise of the Cybermen / The Age Of Steel.
- Peri departs the TARDIS for an unspecified period of time — but it is long enough to re-enrol in university. She rejoins the Doctor when her mother is murdered. There is no indication that she had any contact with the Doctor between leaving and rejoining him.
- Peri mentions almost drowning by Howard Foster’s hand the day that she left with the Doctor. This led to the collapse of Howard and Janine Foster’s marriage. (Planet of Fire)
- This story is resolved by the events of The Tenth Planet, specifically the destruction of Mondas in December 1986. The original Mondasians of that story are briefly used.
- Janine and Dominique van Gysegham met and became friends while they were both visiting Lanzarote in May 1984. (Planet of Fire)
The Doctor mentions that he has visited Earth’s prehistory on several occasions. (An Unearthly Child, City of Death, Time-Flight)